what size gassification boiler should I get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2010
new mexico
I just talked to cozy heat and he r an eco 40 with 500 gallons of storage and expansion tank. I would like to get your advice before buying. I have a two story house with a walk out basement. Whole house is about 5000 square feet. I will have a detached garage in the future. A lot of glass facing north "view". It is a timber style home High ceilings. All heating will be with radiant in-floor. I live in New Mexico at about 7000 ft in the mountain's. It gets in the 20's at night but back into the 40's in the day. This will be my only heat source and will be my DHW source. I am planning to install in the next month before winter gets into full swing. I know you need more information, but with what I gave you what would you choose an eco 40 or 60? Larger storage?
thanks
joe

Altitude, does EKO have a mod?
Softwood as fuel?
25 btu sq ft guess

Sounds like a 60

Storage
Pressurised or unpressurised, if unpressurised a bit more as your boiling point is a lot lower.

Just some thoughts

With a 5,000 sq. ft. house and 500 gallons of pressurized water storage I would recommend a 60kw (205,000) btu output boiler.

I have a 2,500 sq. ft house in northern Michigan and use 1,000 gallons of pressurized storage with a 35kw Effecta brand boiler.

The use of larger storage with a smaller boiler is possible and depending on boiler/storage costs it may be more cost effective to go this route.

Effecta Man

heatloss... heatloss... heatloss.

do yourself a favor and do a heatloss calculation. There are several calculators available on the internet for free that allow you to do what's called a "manual j" calculation. It's tough to figure air infiltration with these, but it will get you a ballpark. Once you have an idea, go from there.

IF you are only getting down into the 20's at night, i would guess your heat loss is less than 25 btu's per square foot at design. You could probably get by with the smaller boiler. But that's just a guess.

Over-sizing a boiler is not as big of an issue as far as keeping the boiler clean, etc, as long as you are installing storage... but... a big boiler that dumps heat into a tank too quickly can actually shorten cycle times.

cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.