What Size Generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
What size Generator would I need to run my Avalon Astoria anyway have any clue?

Thanks

There should be a tag on the unit or the motor that tells of the power needed to run it. Oversize by 25% (or more) and you are good to go. I think even the smallest genset will do the job. If you have any electronics that need to be run, be aware...not all gensets create a pure enough wave form to run sensitive stuff. The genny paperwork will say "for use" or "not for use" on sensitive equipment.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
most any pellet stove is going to run well below 1K, even in startup when the igniter which is the biggest power hog is engaged (igniters usually will use 3-4 hundred watts when running by themselves, but only run during a start cycle. when talking battery backups i usually suggest a bare minumum of 750 watts for an igniter stove and 450 for a manual start unit

fyi, my stove would NOT run on the HF 800 watt cheapo gen set that I tried. my stove will NOT start up on my UPS, rated for 1200 watts. It will run it, though once ignited with wall power.
Manual states max draw of 400 for running, and 500 for ignitor, there by 900 total for a high fan start up. but it's clearly more than that on low fan start up too boot.

I would suggest 1500 watts as a minimum to ensure full start up without the what it.
IMO, get at least a 2000, and use it for some lights/etc too once its up and running.

Manual states max draw of 400 for running, and 500 for ignitor, there by 900 total for a high fan start up. but it's clearly more than that on low fan start up too boot.
This is why I always suggest a genny with AT LEAST 25% more output then your heaviest load. The whole "start up /run time" figures are only stating that the genny ain't gonna burn up for the 2 seconds you pull the "startup" power and are often times not really capable of the claimed "startup" - especially with cheaper gensets.

This is why I always suggest a genny with AT LEAST 25% more output then your heaviest load. The whole "start up /run time" figures are only stating that the genny ain't gonna burn up for the 2 seconds you pull the "startup" power and are often times not really capable of the claimed "startup" - especially with cheaper gensets.

ditto, usually i try to "sway" customers asking this question to look harder at a genny as most purpose made battery backup systems are quite pricy for a short term gain, a genny of the same price cold run several things for a longer period of time

1000 watt genny should do just fine. The Astoria has a startup rating of approx. 400 watts, and a running wattage of approx. 180.

After start-up, you could run a fews more things off it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.