What size is my gaskets??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedengineer

Nov 20, 2005
mentor(northeast), ohio
Ok, this may seem obvious, but before I take them out how do I know what the size of the gaskets in my old VC Resolute stove are. I want to replace the griddle and door gaskets. Do I simply take them out, measure the slot they were in and go with what is close? My owners manual does not say. I

have never done this before, but I think I have to clean out the slot real good then put some cement in and then the gasket.

So, how do I know what size?

-Mike

You can use the old gasket as a guage. when you remove it you can make it round again and get a good idea of what size it is. The rest is easy, clean the gasket channel, and put your gasket cemement in there, lay the gasket in, and fire away.

griddle gaskets are a combination grafite and metalic I know where some have had sucess using 1/4" grafite fiber type replacements.
I think you door gaskets are either 5/16 or 3/8" measre the grove. Better buy the complete VC gasket replacement kit about $20 including great instructions and gasket cement and the correct griggle replacement

elkimmeg said:
griddle gaskets are a combination grafite and metalic I know where some have had sucess using 1/4" grafite fiber type replacements.
I think you door gaskets are either 5/16 or 3/8" measre the grove. Better buy the complete VC gasket replacement kit about $20 including great instructions and gasket cement and the correct griggle replacement

Ahh...I'll stop out at my local stove shop and see if they have that kit.

Thanks Elk.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.