1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What size is my gaskets??

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by mikedengineer, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikedengineer

mikedengineer New Member

Loc:
    mentor(northeast), ohio
    Ok, this may seem obvious, but before I take them out how do I know what the size of the gaskets in my old VC Resolute stove are. I want to replace the griddle and door gaskets. Do I simply take them out, measure the slot they were in and go with what is close? My owners manual does not say. I

have never done this before, but I think I have to clean out the slot real good then put some cement in and then the gasket.

So, how do I know what size?

-Mike

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    You can use the old gasket as a guage. when you remove it you can make it round again and get a good idea of what size it is. The rest is easy, clean the gasket channel, and put your gasket cemement in there, lay the gasket in, and fire away.
  3. mikedengineer

mikedengineer New Member

Loc:
    mentor(northeast), ohio
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

-mike
  4. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

griddle gaskets are a combination grafite and metalic I know where some have had sucess using 1/4" grafite fiber type replacements.
    I think you door gaskets are either 5/16 or 3/8" measre the grove. Better buy the complete VC gasket replacement kit about $20 including great instructions and gasket cement and the correct griggle replacement
  5. mikedengineer

mikedengineer New Member

Loc:
    mentor(northeast), ohio
    Ahh...I'll stop out at my local stove shop and see if they have that kit.

Thanks Elk.

-Mike
  6. mikedengineer

mikedengineer New Member

Loc:
    mentor(northeast), ohio
    I just called my local shop. Holy crap they want $60 for the kit!!! Where is a good place to buy it online? I believe it is kit #3440. I'll have to get the model #.

-Mike
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.