what size/kind of blower or fan to put behind this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burrman

Feb 17, 2009
michigan
its 12 by 14 just going in my barn and going to run a thermostat..

dscn2380-jpg.107710

It's going to depend on a lot of variables. Size of barn/height of ceiling/R value of walls&ceiling/temp you want to achieve/total area heated/entry temp of fluid/in a case or freestanding like in photo & a pile more. Sorry to be of so little help. Really you can stick any fan behind it & get some heat gain, however your question asks how much fan & that involves nailing down a lot of those variables & then some math.

28x40 ...10 foot walls...insulated and finished inside with OSB ...I would like to set it around 65 while not in there and warmer when I am in there

Temp coming in should be around 180 and I'm going to mount it in the corner by the ceiling

Without knowing the heat transfer specs of the hx it would be a guess. Get a squirrel cage furnace fan from the junkyard and rig it up. a horizontal furnace would make a fine chassis to mount it in. Try it and see.

Monitor flow through the hx, inlet and outlet temps and calculate heat delivered.

Look at the modine website and find one with the same size heat exchanger and 'borrow' their specs regarding the fan/motor.

To be honest in this situation I would be going to my local HVAC & asking what they had for a scraper (something that the heat exchanger went on) but otherwise is in good condition, just not worth the repair or was scraped & replaced under warranty.

If you can get one with a 3 speed fan...bonus as you will be in low speed say oct/nov-mar/apr & have the other two speeds in your back pocket should it get cold.

Something that was capable of 30K - 40K btu in low speed should be OK for that area without knowing specifics about R value/air infiltration/location specific to wind/number & size of windows & doors, how fast you want to be able to bring temps up, etc.

Bonus is going this route keeps cost to a minimum & you wont be too bent should it become plugged with dust from the barn as well as the dust taking out bearings prematurely. If your barn is like mine looks don't matter, just performance.

Up here I would be trading that scraped, but just what I want unit for 40 ounces of his favourite. Hard to beat that price. Plus I know exactly what the price of a replacement will be in the future.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.