What size log chain?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffman3

Nov 20, 2007
S.W. Nebraska
I need to pull some large elm out of piles/pits. I don't know what size chain I need to be looking at. This stuff is expensive from what I have seen at the local hardware store, and size make a big difference in price. I know I will need probably 30-50 ft at least, but am unsure as to what what size to buy.

What size pieces are we talking about? 5/16" grade 70 tow chain is pretty strong (4600lb working load, if memory serves), so that should probably do the job. Tractor Supply sells 20' premade pieces with grab hooks on both ends for $25 or so, and the 5400lb 3/8" grade 70 chain similarly set up for $40 or so.

Assuming you connect the chain correctly (not just hook-on-link!), you can double up lengths if necessary.

Agree with compuser, 5/16" grade 70 is good chain - and not near as heavy as 3/8" to drag around.

computeruser said:
Assuming you connect the chain correctly (not just hook-on-link!), you can double up lengths if necessary.
What do you mean by this compuser? I've always just put the grab hook slipped on link of the second chain. Is this incorrect? any pics of a more correct way of linking a chain? thx.

katooom said:
Agree with compuser, 5/16" grade 70 is good chain - and not near as heavy as 3/8" to drag around.

computeruser said:
What do you mean by this compuser? I've always just put the grab hook slipped on link of the second chain. Is this incorrect? any pics of a more correct way of linking a chain? thx.

I will try to find the link. I know I have it on my home computer...somewhere. A couple rigging manuals for vehicle recovery and industrial use suggested making two loops that look almost like "slipknots" in the chains, so the grab hooks are actually doubling back on the chain they are attached to. The logic seemed pretty good, and the couple times I tried it when pulling stuff over bumpy terrain the hooks did not slip off and disconnect the chain. I'll look for the link and post it if I can find it.

I had originally thought the 3/8 was the way to go , but I think the 5/16 will be what we end up with. I will be pulling large elm trees, or parts of trees, out of piles/pits, but I will be using the Dodge, not a tractor to do this. I don't think the hitch will take what the 3/8 will handle,( I will check this out on the morning) so I think the 5/16 is the logical choice. I think the 5/16 will be a better fit for the rig I will using.

Status
Not open for further replies.