What size of connections for storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taxidermist

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2008
Fowlerville MI
I have to weld in fittings for my storage tank. What size for supply and return and also how many should I put in the tank? The tank is a 530 gal square

Thank you,
Rob

taxidermist said:
I have to weld in fittings for my storage tank. What size for supply and return and also how many should I put in the tank? The tank is a 530 gal square

Thank you,
Rob

Pipe, fitting and tube sizes are always based on flow. What GPM will you need to handle?

If I was going to the trouble of having fittings welded to a tank, I would probably go with 1 1/2 inch, and then use off-the-shelf reducers to get it down to whatever size you actually end up needing to plumb it.

Much easier to go to Home Depot or the plumbing supply store and change the size down to what you need instead of having to live with something that was welded to small.

That said, my propane tank came with 1.25 inch fittings, and that is what I plan on using because a) I think it will work, and b) I am too cheap to hire someone to weld anything else on.

heaterman said:
taxidermist said:

Thank you,
Rob

Pipe, fitting and tube sizes are always based on flow. What GPM will you need to handle?

EKO 60 530 gal now with 500 gal propane tank in the future for a total of 1030 gal I will have 125' between boiler and tank.

Rob

Good advice from MrEd. Just weld in some 1 1/2 couplings. You can always bush them down or plug them.

Status
Not open for further replies.