What size oval pipe = 6" round?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am running a liner in the chimney. The stove calls for a 6" stove pipe. My terracotta liner in the chimney measures 6" ID by 17 1/4" ID. I wanted to run oval ridged pipe down. So do I need to increase the size of the pipe when I go from 6" round to oval?

Simpson dura vent oval measures 4 3/4" by 7 3/4" = 6" pipe.

Ventinox hiflex says ("When the 8" is ovalized it measures 4" x 10 1/2" O.D. (giving a 6" round capacity for volume")"????

So which measurement is correct? I was just trying to figure what size oval = 6" round and am now confused on the size of oval pipe to run?

Thanks much

Mark

Duravent bought ventinox this year so i'm sure you could call them and get both.

gizmos said:
Hi all,

I am running a liner in the chimney. The stove calls for a 6" stove pipe. My terracotta liner in the chimney measures 6" ID by 17 1/4" ID. I wanted to run oval ridged pipe down. So do I need to increase the size of the pipe when I go from 6" round to oval?

Simpson dura vent oval measures 4 3/4" by 7 3/4" = 6" pipe.

Ventinox hiflex says ("When the 8" is ovalized it measures 4" x 10 1/2" O.D. (giving a 6" round capacity for volume")"????

So which measurement is correct? I was just trying to figure what size oval = 6" round and am now confused on the size of oval pipe to run?

Thanks much

Mark

The Simpson is definitely 6" round equivalent

Ok thxs,
I'll stay with the oval ridged dura liner. The web site says that the ridged pipe is insulated. Is there any need to wrap it with additional insulation?????

Another issue is that from the top of the block off plate to the top of the chimney is only 9 feet. How far above the chimney can I run the liner ? Or how far above the chimney should I run the liner??? I'm assuming I should run round pipe above the chimney or can I continue with the oval pipe???? Any suggestions please and thank you.
Mark

No need for any additional insulation, except around any flex you have through the smokeshelf/damper (though you will not be able to get it down your flue - so either add after, if you can (very difficult), or do what I did and stuff rock wool up into the smoke shelf area).

You use the "oval extend a cap" to cap oval - you continue with the oval on the parts above the chimney. There are supports available once you get above a certain height - the manual available on Simpson's website has more info. Your stove manual should give recommended min height.

Status
Not open for further replies.