what size pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gotboostido

Jun 23, 2008
south shore, ma
hey everyone, im finally getting my englander 25pdvc installed. but what size pad do in need. it will be going in a corner location. i would like to order the pad online. anyone know any places to order from. thanks

There are a ton of places on line but shipping will cost you a good buck. Call a local place or contact a carpenter and have him make you one. Better yrt make it your self it really simple just do a search here for much info. These things are a bit heavy to ship but there are some deals on line. Remember you need 6" from the front of the stove to pass code.

ktfinch2000 made a real nice pad, and I now see he is custom making them for people....send him a PM, or email him through his ad in CraigsList:

southcoast.craigslist.org/hsh/842254964.html

I made my own this summer 36" x 32". Cost me around $60.00. You will need:

36" x 32" piece of plywood
same size piece of cement board (bought the whole sheet $9.98ish)
4-16"x16" tiles
8-4"x4" tiles
pre mixed grout (small container)
and I used 3 long pieces of hardwood flooring for the edge.

Screw the cement board to the plywood, grout the cement board, stick the tiles to it, fill in the spaces with grout. Let dry.
Got it all at HD. Looks great!

My new Quad Santa Fe was installed yesterday (yippee!!!) on top of a three foot square piece of bluestone that's about 1 1/4 inches thick. Cost of the bluestone was $75. Fortunately for me, the stove dealership started life as a fireplace builder, so they were able to supply the stone. Last year I built the pad for my gas stove and tiled it, and that was really simple and kinda fun as well. I'm happy with both, but I certainly would NOT be happy paying $300 for a prefab hearth pad!

Here's a pic of my corner hearth. It's 1" thick bluestone. I haven't done the grout yet. My stove manufacturer required 6" in front of the door and 3" off the back corners so I measured it out accordingly to give me plenty of room.

Attachments

• 0925081415[1].jpg
    0925081415[1].jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 759
Nice!!! Doesn't it make you feel good to do-it-yourself instead of paying $200-$400 dollars for one?

My set up.

Attachments

• PIC_0012.JPG
    PIC_0012.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 757
  • tile[1].jpg
    tile[1].jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 649
sydney1963 said:
Nice!!! Doesn't it make you feel good to do-it-yourself instead of paying $200-$400 dollars for one?
It feels good to be done with it! I paid a little under 200 for materials 135 of that was the rock. They can be done much cheaper. I wish now that I would have used a multi colored (and cheaper) rock because the bluestone is more bland looking than I thought it was gonna be. Tough luck. It's gonna have to grow on me!

I love the way it goes into the corner of the room. I'm a girl and couldn't quite figure out the dimensions and had no way to cut the tile.

Just draw it out on paper the design you want. Then you find out your stove's clearances which is usually in the owners manual or brochure. I made a template out of 1/4" plywood to chicken scratch my measurements in pencil and draw a box where the stove is gonna sit. If I learned one thing from this project it's measure TWICE cut once! Mine ended up being not perfectly symmetrical by like 1/8" which makes it difficult when you're having a guy cut 1" thick stone for you and he has one shot. I made up for it by adjusting the grout lines but the bigger the rock the harder it's gonna get.

I think I would inquire with the code enforcement/fire marshall personnel in your township as to
what will meet code for a hearth pad. Mine needed to have 8 inches of pad on either
side and 18 inches of pad from the stove door opening.

I called the fire department and basically they told me there is no need for a permit for installation in the state of Maine. He told me to go by the dimensions for the pad that the pellet stove manufactuer gave me. Actually my pad is bigger than what was required.

My town doesn't know what a pellet stove is let alone having a code for one. My hearth pad is probably more than sufficient for a wood stove with the exception of wall protection.

I saw someone pay $400 bucks for a hearthpad this morning. I think I laughed out loud....not sure. Not even a nice one at that...but they DID get to mix and match the trim color and the color of the faux tile. I think I have $50 bucks into mine, slate and wood. Purty nice if I do say so. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.