what size propane tank do i need

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstrat

Feb 13, 2015
ma
I have a jotul gf 300 dv rated for 26000 btu heating 800 sq. feet of insulated space I would like to size the tank for the heating season here in ma. any thoughts, thanks.

Assuming the stove ran 10 out of 24 hours for 150 days average (maybe be 4 hours per day shoulder season 18 in this weather) and assuming you wanted the space heated to 70 degrees, I'd say you may go thru 350-450 gallons of propane in a year. A 500 gallon tank holds 400 gallons at 80% and you should not let the tank get below 20%, so that leaves you with really, 300 usable gallons. I'd suggest a 500 gallon tank if you are going to try to get by one only one fill. If you were going to have regular deliveries made by a propane supplier, then I would either go with 2-420# tanks at the house (about 192 gallons or 144 before you get below 20%) and expect a few deliveries over the course of the winter. If you prefer a torpedo (horizontal) type tank away from the home, I'd go with a 250 or 330 gallon tank. The issues with going on the small side with LP storage is 1. greater chance of a runout 2. the LP gassing off too quick in relation to the liquid volume as it is used, causing refrigeration which can freeze up your regulators.

Status
Not open for further replies.