What size RAM do you have on your splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 2, 2009
USA
Thinking about getting a longer ram on my splitter. I have room to play. What size are you running? Seems like 4" bore with a 24" stroke is common?

I'm not sure about size, but my ram comes within an inch or so of the wedge on my gas splitter, which I appreciate having come from an electric that only got within 3 or so inches.

S

Well its official, my ram is leaking horribly and now I need to rebuild or replace. I will most likely try and replace with something that has a longer stroke. Any tips on how to measure?

To check bore size measure the outside diameter of the cylinder and subtract 1/2". This will the inside diameter. Cylinders over 4"bore size usually increase by 1/2" increments. Overall length will vary depending on stroke and attachments.

I need to reconfigure the entire splitter so I will be reworking the wedge position as well as the length/stroke of the cylinder. Is there anything wrong with getting a "welded" cylinder? Its the only way to get a low priced 4" bore by 24" stroke ram.

NoPaint said:
Well its official, my ram is leaking horribly and now I need to rebuild or replace. I will most likely try and replace with something that has a longer stroke. Any tips on how to measure?

I just rebuilt a cylinder (replaced the seals) for about $90 and 1.5hrs labor. A new cylinder is way more expensive than this. Why bother making a longer stroke if all you really need is functional splitter?

Just wondering. Maybe your stove is longer (wider) than 24 inches.

The only reason I want a longer RAM is not because my stove is so big but because the ram doesn't really get close to the wedge and when fully retracted it can hardly fit a standard size log. If I move the wedge farther away to make loading easier then it really won't split well. A 24" stroke ram seems to be industry standard? If it is too long I can always limit my travel but at least get a full split. $90 for a rebuild is way more than I would spend on a rebuild. There are rams on ebay for about $50 more shipped which are better than what I have.

The $90 was for the seal kit and the labor required to pull the nut off the end of the shaft. I didn't have the equipement. If you did, the total rebuild would be about $40. But if your stroke is too short, yea, go with the new cylinder especially if they are that cheap where you are.

The size of the ram I use with my splitter is a W350, Dodge that is. :lol:

NoPaint - yes, a 24" ram is pretty common. The bore diameter is what will yield the "power" (more square inches for fluid to push on). A typical 20+ ton splitter will use a 4" x 24" ram. 25-27 ton will use a 4.5" and above that is typically 5", until you get to the really big boys.

Stroke length is totally up to you. If your stove takes an 18" split, there is no need for a 30" stroke splitter, but if you have an OWB, then maybe the 30" is your thing. I built mine so the end of the stroke is about 1/4" from the wedge. I split some stringy stuff and can go full stroke if need be.

My splitter runs a 24" stroke by 5" bore with a 16 GPM pump. A pretty common combo. If you are running an 11 GPM pump, you will probably want to stick with a 4" ram or your speed will be compromised.

Status
Not open for further replies.