1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What size screen for sifting sawdust out of pellets?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by EdMA, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdMA

EdMA New Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    I have about 40 bags of pellets that have varing degrees of unusable pellets due to exposer to moister. I don't want to just throw them all out becuase probably half the pellets are just fine. What I would like to do is set up a screen that will alow the unusable fines and sawdust to fall through and save the good pellets. Any idea what size mesh I should use? Any other ideas on how to salvage what I have? Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. orangecrushcj7

orangecrushcj7 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Barre MA
    1/4" hardware cloth works well. they pellets diameter is slightly larger than the mesh so that they can't pass thru. Sifting with a large (2'x3' or so) rig made out of a couple 2x4s with hardware cloth would be most effective for large quantities.
  3. EdMA

EdMA New Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    Thanks... where can I buy the hardware cloth?
  4. SteveT

SteveT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West of Boston
  5. EdMA

EdMA New Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    Great... thanks!
  6. DiggerJim

DiggerJim Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    You can also build a quick pellet vac for about $20. Do a search on "pellet vac" and you'll find the thread - it was only a week or two ago. Cleaner than the hardware cloth and screening method.
  7. woodsman23

woodsman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western southern tier of NYS
    Just screen them outside into a bucket and let the wind blow away the dust or setup a fan to do the same. I would use the fan set on high and pour slowly and the fines will get blown away from the good pellets.
  8. escobarmj

escobarmj Member

Loc:
    RI
    I built my own also..worked great.
  9. sydney1963

sydney1963 New Member

Loc:
    Windham Maine
    I built a pellet vac also, is wonderful and easy and I'm a woman (around $20 without buying a shop vac). When you sift them you get lots of dust and you don't want to breathe that into your lungs.
  10. woodsman23

woodsman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western southern tier of NYS
    I use lignetics and dry creek and there is so very little dust, broken pellets whatever you guys (and gals) are seeing in these bags. When i empty the bag there is very very little dust whatever left on the inside of the bags. MMM
  11. imacman

imacman Guest

As mentioned above, costs about $20 if you have a shop vac already.

Attached Files:

12. sydney1963

sydney1963 New Member

Loc:
    Windham Maine
    Woodsman,

I think I got a bad batch. I got at leat 3 cups of fines in my 2nd bag I opened. I am happy otherwise, they burn nice and hot. The 3rd bag I opened wasn't as bad, maybe 2 cups. Hopefully it will only get better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.