What size screen for sifting sawdust out of pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdMA

Oct 21, 2008
Central MA
I have about 40 bags of pellets that have varing degrees of unusable pellets due to exposer to moister. I don't want to just throw them all out becuase probably half the pellets are just fine. What I would like to do is set up a screen that will alow the unusable fines and sawdust to fall through and save the good pellets. Any idea what size mesh I should use? Any other ideas on how to salvage what I have? Thanks.

1/4" hardware cloth works well. they pellets diameter is slightly larger than the mesh so that they can't pass thru. Sifting with a large (2'x3' or so) rig made out of a couple 2x4s with hardware cloth would be most effective for large quantities.

You can also build a quick pellet vac for about $20. Do a search on "pellet vac" and you'll find the thread - it was only a week or two ago. Cleaner than the hardware cloth and screening method.

Just screen them outside into a bucket and let the wind blow away the dust or setup a fan to do the same. I would use the fan set on high and pour slowly and the fines will get blown away from the good pellets.

DiggerJim said:
You can also build a quick pellet vac for about $20. Do a search on "pellet vac" and you'll find the thread - it was only a week or two ago. Cleaner than the hardware cloth and screening method.

I built my own also..worked great.

I built a pellet vac also, is wonderful and easy and I'm a woman (around $20 without buying a shop vac). When you sift them you get lots of dust and you don't want to breathe that into your lungs.

I use lignetics and dry creek and there is so very little dust, broken pellets whatever you guys (and gals) are seeing in these bags. When i empty the bag there is very very little dust whatever left on the inside of the bags. MMM

EdMA said:
Any other ideas on how to salvage what I have? Thanks.
As mentioned above, costs about $20 if you have a shop vac already.

Attachments

• Pellet cleaner 1.JPG
    Pellet cleaner 1.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,130
Woodsman,

I think I got a bad batch. I got at leat 3 cups of fines in my 2nd bag I opened. I am happy otherwise, they burn nice and hot. The 3rd bag I opened wasn't as bad, maybe 2 cups. Hopefully it will only get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.