What size stove would you recommend?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
I have a 14 x 32' great room with 14' vaulted/sloping ceiling. It is well insulated. the back half is built over crawl space and the front 1/2 is on slab with passive solar design in mind. The passive solar is not so effective for this room as the neighbors trees have over grown and shade that part of the house 3/4 of the day. Some time in the future I would love to put a wood stove in the great room as it is a bugger to heat with the size and ceilings. I have 2 reversible ceiling fans in the room and 12-2' x 5' double pane windows 6 of which are south facing. The great room is between the main house (26 x 34 gambrell style) and the garage. Above the garage is 2 bedrooms a bathroom and an office. I would like to be able to heat above the garage as well with the stove. Above the garage is approximately 400 sf and is accessed via a stairway off of the great room. What size stove/ BTU output would you reccomend for this space taking into consideration the ceiling height and additional cubic feet of air to heat. I have a newer vermont casting resolute that heats the 1600 sf of the main house.

Lots of stoves would work. But how about a second Resolute? That way there's no relearning curve. Same size wood, same burn times, etc.

would the 36k btu work in that room?

I would say around 40-50k btu

Assuming it's well insulated and the desired sq. ftg to heat is about 1/2 the sq. ftg. currently heated with the Resolute, I'd say yes. You may want to run a ceiling fan reversed on low speed to reduce stratification.

Status
Not open for further replies.