What size trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smabon

Jan 29, 2009
Lunenburg, Ma
I'm thinking about getting a trailer to haul wood in. What size trailer do you all recommend and how much payload should it be able to carry. I have a F250 super duty with a diesel to pull the trailer. Currently I don't have a hitch on the truck. I did find a trailer on CL for $500 that has a 15'x7' deck, duel axles and electric brakes. Does not say what the axles are rated for. Looks to be in good condition. I am thinking that it was a camper at one time but I am just guessing. Right now I am getting my wood from a friends house 4 or 5 miles away so just using the truck bed is work out fine. I might have just lined up a 3 or 4 oak trees that are about 40 minutes away from my house and I would like to haul as much as possible at one time in order to cut down on the number of trips that I have to do. Actually the trees are not that far out of the way because I work in the next town over from them and can go through that town where the trees are to go home. Anyways, any suggests would be helpful.

I own a 10,000 lb rated car hauler trailer that I can easily load 2 cords onto. The trailer weighs 2500 empty so the total weight with the 2 cords is right at the max. Then you load the truck with another 2000 lbs (half cord) and you are rolling down the road at the 20,000 lb max GCWR for the truck.

What I'm saying is that there is no need to get anything bigger than a 10k rated trailer.

If you've never cut, loaded, then unloaded 2.5 cords of wood in one day then you might not know that that amount of wood is plenty work for one day.

The 10k rated car hauler style trailer will also tow any regular car or pickup on the road since you likely want to do more than haul wood with this trailer.

Don't go cheap and get a 7000 lb car hauler. That will only hold a tiny amount of wood.

Attachments

• woodsidesmall.JPG
    woodsidesmall.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 610
I have a 5x8 dump with a 5K axle that I stack 4' high on. Works very well given that I load by hand and also is great for mulch. I also have a 6x12 tandem axle dump but loading the front 4' is clumsy and time-consuming. While a blowout with a single axle trailer is inconvenient at best, it is much easier to maneuver in tight places. Ideally, I'd have a 7x8 with a single 10K axle on it. Whatever you end up with, spend the money on a brake controller as it will pay for itself many times over. Brake jobs on 3/4 ton trucks are expensive.

When looking at used trailers, take a close look at what the tires on it are rated for. I found out about tire ratings with a blowout at 65 on an interstate with a full load of wood. You will also find a lot of people putting car or truck tires on trailers. They will shred under any kind of load and speed.

Similar to highbeam above I own a 20' car hauler (bought it from Kaufman trailers online). It's 2300lbs dry and has 8,000lbs GVWR. Not including the dovetail I have 17.5x7 with 2' side rails. Loaded to the gills I can haul just under two cord. This puts me a tad bit over the 8,000lbs rating of the trailer but I think she's done fine. Brakes on both axles are a must...save the truck.....

I also agree 100% with Highbeams statement about "a full days work". Rarely do I unload my trailer the same day I drop, buck and load it. That's a lot of wood...and this guy drinks beer immediately following the cutting part.....maybe even some during if the mood hits me....

I also use a car hauler, I bought it for my car but serves a dual purpose for the wood. It has a GVWR of 8500, brakes on all four axles and does the job just fine. It's 18' with a dove tail, my sides are 16'x7'x2' so if I fully load it I can haul almost 2 cords if I was to stack nicely. When I'm cutting though I'm usually pretty burned out when I get about a cord done.

Attachments

• P6170007.JPG
    P6170007.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 560
What year F250 SD ? Mines an '05, and pulls my gooseneck, fully loaded, like nothing is back there.

Just for "outside of the box" check out horse trailers. They are built to haul alot of tonage :)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
What year F250 SD ? Mines an '05, and pulls my gooseneck, fully loaded, like nothing is back there.

Just for "outside of the box" check out horse trailers. They are built to haul alot of tonage :)

Mines a '99. Have been thinking about trading it in for something a little newer and with a crewcab and automatic trans, I sick of shifting. Would like to get into '05. Is yours a diesel?

Pro DIY said:

Mines a '99. Have been thinking about trading it in for something a little newer and with a crewcab and automatic trans, I sick of shifting. Would like to get into '05. Is yours a diesel?

No, it's plain ole regular gas. But the auto w/OD, crew cab w/suicide doors, AC (rarely used, I just open the slider a smidge in the back cab window, and viola, instant AC), tow/haul settings, and integrated towing package ( no control box mounted, it's all in the dash) are a wonderful thing. I had an extra trailer plug put in when I had the hitch put in the bed, it's mounted on the side wall of the bed. Pretty handy. Then I Rhinolined it. Way better than those slide in bed covers.

And the exterior mirros are awesome in my truck. The "tow" extensions on them are amazing, and they are heated, besides. Definite plus.

Highbeam said:
I own a 10,000 lb rated car hauler trailer that I can easily load 2 cords onto. The trailer weighs 2500 empty so the total weight with the 2 cords is right at the max. Then you load the truck with another 2000 lbs (half cord) and you are rolling down the road at the 20,000 lb max GCWR for the truck.

What I'm saying is that there is no need to get anything bigger than a 10k rated trailer.

If you've never cut, loaded, then unloaded 2.5 cords of wood in one day then you might not know that that amount of wood is plenty work for one day.

The 10k rated car hauler style trailer will also tow any regular car or pickup on the road since you likely want to do more than haul wood with this trailer.

Don't go cheap and get a 7000 lb car hauler. That will only hold a tiny amount of wood.

Highbeam - what size truck are you using? I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe and am looking to do it the way you are doing it...

Woodsman_WI said:
Highbeam said:

Highbeam - what size truck are you using? I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe and am looking to do it the way you are doing it...

I don't think I'd run this setup with a Tahoe....in my experience car haulers put a tad more weight forward on the trailer than some other types of trailers (ie. tounge weight). With my trailer full loaded I can make a 2500HD Silverado squat a little. I dare say a Tahoe would be draggin the gas tank on the ground....

I think max rated towing capacity for Tahoe's/Yukon's is close to 8,000lbs. Two cord of wood on a 2400lbs trailer is exceeding that by a pretty good shot (10-11k+).

Woodsman_WI said:
Highbeam said:

That truck is a 2000 F350 with the diesel. My last truck was a 1998 chevy k1500 with the 350 and I felt really good about towing up to about 7000 lbs total (4500 cargo) on that trailer. The diesel is not faster at towing the loads it just does it more effortlessly and the heavier duty truck feels much more stable when towing.

Totally agree with Highbeam on the bigger truck being more stable (hee hee).

It makes a world of differance.

The newer F250's are a towing machine. I can only assume that the F350 is more of a beast.

Highbeam said:

What could one expect to pay for a trailer such as that? It looks perfect.

I have a 5 x15 trailer and tow with my 1/2 ton van . It's a little smaller and has 2 3500lb axles and is about 1200 with no load so I can't put two cord but have done 1 1/2. It is very balanced infact with nothing in it it will sit level and I don't even have to put down the front wheel. The 7000lb models are very common around here used often for lawn and landscaping work and go for 700 to 1800 or so and the 10k units are more in the 2000 to 3000 range. Your 250 can pull the big trailer so you might as well get one of those

I have a 5X8 dump single 5000lb axle and a 16' dual axle. i pull them with my DMAX. the dual is great for moving the tractor. but i much prefer the dumper for firewood. easy to manuver into tight spots. I just recently did 4 FULL loads in just under 7hrs with my uncles help. CUT, LOAD, DUMP. REPEAT X4!!! we both slept good that nite. if your looking at a bigger truck keep in mind the trucks wheelbase. short bed crews typically have a tighter turning radius than the ext cabs. the 8ft crew requires a little more room and patience!!!! this i know all to well. ha ha. DONT cheap out on a brake controller. the life you save may be your own!!!!

I like to go for big enough that I feel uncomfortable towing it before I get to the point of overloading the axles. :)

Behind my 1500lb tow capacity Corolla/Vibe a 750kg (1650lb) single axle is about right. Behind my 6500lb tow capacity Tacoma a 3500lb tandem axle is about right.

A tandem 5200 is probably good behind a '99 F250 PSD. You might feel comfortable pulling more that behind a current F250 PSD so if you plan to upgrade soon maybe a tandem 7000 to be safe?

Totally agree with Highbeam on the bigger truck being more stable (hee hee).

It makes a world of differance.

The newer F250's are a towing machine. I can only assume that the F350 is more of a beast.

Unless things have changed the only difference between the 250 and 350 was a beefier front end especially in the 4 wheel drive models . Rear springs actually could be the same for both .

I run a 1991 F250 hd and a 7000 lb car hauler . Most of the time I just throw a load on the carhauler . Thats about a 1.5 cords if I am really trying to load her up we will pile a load on the truck even with the cab all the way back to the tail gate , I use side boards on the pickup and then the car hauler behind . This gets me pretty close to 2.5 cords at a time . I am running a 351 and a 5 speed manual . If I am leaveing my swamp land I have a very steep grade to pull out of . Its second gear and 15-20 miles and hour for a 1/4 mile to clear the hill then its good going after that . The poor girl has been doing this for me now going on its 19th year .

Hmm....appears that you can only haul wood with big trailers and trucks. :lol:

Just throwing out another opinion. I had the big tandem car hauler trailer. Got rid of it. For wood hauling in MY situation it was too big to get into some of the places that I cut. The second reason I got rid of it is because it hauled more crap for other people than it did my own.

I replaced that trailer with a 5 x10ft (If I were to do it again it would be a 6 x 10) with a 3500 pound axle and have never turned back wishing I still had the big boy (heck, that thing was a superwide 20ft unhandy beast).

Between truck and trailer I can easily haul a cord of wood from the bush (and often it is a bit more). 1 cord being dropped, bucked and loaded is my limit now anyhow. I simply don't want to do any more than that.

Attachments

• 100_1050SM.jpg
    100_1050SM.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 223
Jags said:

Just throwing out another opinion. I had the big tandem car hauler trailer. Got rid of it. For wood hauling in MY situation it was too big to get into some of the places that I cut. The second reason I got rid of it is because it hauled more crap for other people than it did my own.

I replaced that trailer with a 5 x10ft (If I were to do it again it would be a 6 x 10) with a 3500 pound axle and have never turned back wishing I still had the big boy (heck, that thing was a superwide 20ft unhandy beast).

Between truck and trailer I can easily haul a cord of wood from the bush (and often it is a bit more). 1 cord being dropped, bucked and loaded is my limit now anyhow. I simply don't want to do any more than that.

I am with you jags after filling a trailer that size I am ready to go home split and stack it and call it a day....Iam not going to keep bringing in big loads to set in my yard till I can get to it anymore! 72hrs. spliting last week and still spliting this week.
(we brought in many triaxle loads last year)

Jags said:

The car hauler pulls double duty as my tractor hauler . I have the old style trailer before the extra width was allowed on the roads . My bed is 6'6" by 16 feet tandem 3500 lb axels so just about what you wish you had

webie said:
Jags said:
The car hauler pulls double duty as my tractor hauler

Yeah, I did that too. Hauled trucks - cars - tractors. Next thing I know....hey, could you help us move. Blaaaaa....forget it.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

I am with you jags after filling a trailer that size I am ready to go home split and stack it and call it a day....Iam not going to keep bringing in big loads to set in my yard till I can get to it anymore! 72hrs. spliting last week and still spliting this week.

I know you guys have your own way of produceing your firewood but I found it way more to my advantage to fell ,buck and split my wood before it goes on the trailer . Once I get home it goes right from the trailer to the pile , all done . I ussually plan a load a day Unless I have help . A load gets me between 1.25 and 1.5 cord .

webie said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

I know you guys have your own way of produceing your firewood but I found it way more to my advantage to fell ,buck and split my wood before it goes on the trailer . Once I get home it goes right from the trailer to the pile , all done . I ussually plan a load a day Unless I have help . A load gets me between 1.25 and 1.5 cord .

Thats what I am talking about leave the mess behind! lol

Jags said:
webie said:
Jags said:
The car hauler pulls double duty as my tractor hauler

Yeah, I did that too. Hauled trucks - cars - tractors. Next thing I know....hey, could you help us move. Blaaaaa....forget it.

My price was too high they all went else where . I was at 1.00 a mile loaded or empty and I dont touch the load and 25.00 an hour when the truck was sitting still .

Status
Not open for further replies.