What Size UPS for 25-PDV?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kofkorn

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 3, 2008
Central MA
With the rash of power outages around the area, I think I would like to add a UPS to the stove so that if the power blips I don't need to reset/relight it. It's not unusual for us to have the power flicker on and off, but I'm in an area that doesn't usually lose it for long.

So my questions:

1) What is the maximum power draw I could expect to see if both fans are on high and both augers are running (~500w ?)

2) How long have people run their stoves on a UPS once they lose power? I saw someone mention about a half an hour. Is this typical?

Thanks!

If you are looking at anything more than a couple of hours, get a small gas generator. If you need 500 watts power draw, assume about 700VA, and that's a 60 amp draw on a 12v battery, or 15 amp on 4 - 12v batteries. With a proper setup, that would give you about 3 hours run time to a 50% draw down on a 100ah battery bank.

4 - 12 batteries, deep cycle, 100ah, could run you about $100 and up each, plus an inverter. Advice remains, get a generator. And you could use the generator to power some lights too, or more, depending on the size.

Status
Not open for further replies.