What size woodlot do you have for cutting firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags said:
Rick said:
I have about 2.5 acres of dense woods on my 4 acre lot. I figure by the time I am done cutting every single tree down, which is my plan, I will start buying my wood buy the grapple load.

If you are looking to make yard out of it - think about it long and hard first.

(Jags - who mows 5 acres)

Absolutely.
I was mowing three - and not open fields, either.
Paying my nephew to do it now, while I plant trees and make all the garden areas bigger.
He'll be done with college in another year ,then I'll be mowing again. It will not be 3 acres.

Live on 50 mostly wooded and hilly acres. Have some 15 year old logging trails passable so i have good access to my wood.

i have 4.5 acres of which 2.5 is very densely overgrown trees
i cut them up as they fall and stack them amongst the other trees
the shame of it is i burn pellets and everyone i offer it to
never shows up to get it
does need some planned thinning so the good trees could grow nice
oh well maybe someday i'll get a wood stove

Father-in-law has 240 acres I can cut on.

Only thing that sucks is it's around two hours away.

Round trip, you burn quite a bit of gas to get wood.

I try to resist the urge to cut too much on my 2.2 acres - there are only a few dozen trees and I want to keep them. Almost all of what I get is scrounged from friends or somebody has it stacked along the road waiting for the township chipper to come by.

This is a satellite shot of my 23 acres that has never been logged. Very rough terrain (see topo), but I recently bough a Bobcat (came in handy with the snow) to help put in some good trails this year. I have to clear more even around the house because it is just too shady. Nice mixture of Oak, Cherry, Ash, Locust, Beech, Hickory, Maple, Sassafras and the dreaded elm.

13 acres of mixed hardwoods, Cherry, Hickory, Walnut and Oak mostly, some Birch and Maple mixed in, but the Maples are going to get tapped next year for syrup, so unless a storm knocks any of them down, they are "protected".. :) Most of what we have burned in the dozen years we have lived here has been blow downs.

Wood Duck said:
I try to resist the urge to cut too much on my 2.2 acres - there are only a few dozen trees and I want to keep them. Almost all of what I get is scrounged from friends or neighbours.

+ 1

I do have my eye on a bloody big gum tree a little too close to the house, even dropping that will be a challenge - might have to get a pro arborist in.

Friend of mine down the road owns 700 acres that he manages for deer and other game. I can cut anything I want anytime other than hunting season. He'll usually give me a holler either during or just prior to hunting season if he needs a tree or 2 dropped to improve the sightlines of a duckblind.

Scrounged for years. Always enjoyed the hunt and the challenge of it, but the certainty of knowing how and where the heat is coming from is much preferable.

I no longer respond to CL postings knowing there is someone like me of 4 years ago who can use the wood more than I. I will still take care of blowdowns not requiring a professional for personal friends.

About 20 acres of our 80 acre farm is heavily wooded. Lots of downed stuff to keep me and my new 361 busy for a while. :) PLus I have a friend close to where I work that needs a dozen more trees taken out to make room for his new pole barn. Now all I need is a good stove to replace the cookstove so I can get some serious heat in this old farmhouse!

Stubborn Dutchman said:
About 20 acres of our 80 acre farm is heavily wooded. Lots of downed stuff to keep me and my new 361 busy for a while. :) PLus I have a friend close to where I work that needs a dozen more trees taken out to make room for his new pole barn. Now all I need is a good stove to replace the cookstove so I can get some serious heat in this old farmhouse!

What model cookstove do you have? I'm plenty happy with mine - only gripe is no overnight burns. Oil furnace kicks in anywhere from 2 to 4 am to pick up the slack. Do about 60-90 gallons/year in our 150 y.o. Greek Revival farmhouse. Would take quite a while to make my money back based on annual fossil fuel use.

I have three acres which in no way is a good source of wood for me. I have an handful of standing dead ash tree's I need to take down(maybe next year) and some standing dead pines. I'll have plenty of pine that will last years for the shoulder seasons.

My brother is cleaning up a wooded 3 acres to build a house that I have access to, my cousin has 200 acres of farm land with a 40 acre wood lot I can access. These require a good amount of travel though. I have two older neighbors with 30 and 15 acre wood lots that heat with wood. The one with the 30 acres has already told me to come over and help him out and I could have all the wood I need. I just haven't needed to call in that favor yet. The other one has mentioned time and time again how much downed wood he has to clean up. I figure in the spring I'll offer to help him out if we can get free at the same time. I don't need their wood right now but I figure I can lay the ground work for when I do.

I have forty acres. It is mixed hardwoods with ash, aspen, beech, cherry, and maple. I mostly only cut tops because I selectively log a semi load of load a year to be milled.

600+ acres i watch for an out of state owner. He lets me cut whatever I want as long as I keep an eye on the property for him. Met him once 14 years ago when he was walking through my yard to get to his land.

I have 2 1/2 acres heavily wooded and I take the dead or blown down trees only. Scrounge alot of wood from friends and neighbors , also have a couple tree services that I get wood from when they cut in my area and one can't bring wood back across the state line (EAB) so if he cuts in Illinois he drops it a my house.
My BIL is facilities mgr for a museum and they have 140 acres of wood but I can only take wood that they cut because of insurance regulations , if I can find a way around that they have enough down trees to last me forever. I also know a few farm owners .... going to ask a couple and see if I can clear out some dead stuff for him. Last but not least there are 20+ acres behind my property that are land locked and I hope to get a chance to buy it at some point.

CrawfordCentury said:
Stubborn Dutchman said:

What model cookstove do you have? I'm plenty happy with mine - only gripe is no overnight burns. Oil furnace kicks in anywhere from 2 to 4 am to pick up the slack. Do about 60-90 gallons/year in our 150 y.o. Greek Revival farmhouse. Would take quite a while to make my money back based on annual fossil fuel use.

It's an old RoundOak in real great condition. I just can't seem to get any heat out of it. I need to start a thread on how to overcome my inexperience in how to maximize it's output.

Tony H said:
I have 2 1/2 acres heavily wooded and I take the dead or blown down trees only. Scrounge alot of wood from friends and neighbors , also have a couple tree services that I get wood from when they cut in my area and one can't bring wood back across the state line (EAB) so if he cuts in Illinois he drops it a my house.
My BIL is facilities mgr for a museum and they have 140 acres of wood but I can only take wood that they cut because of insurance regulations , if I can find a way around that they have enough down trees to last me forever. I also know a few farm owners .... going to ask a couple and see if I can clear out some dead stuff for him. Last but not least there are 20+ acres behind my property that are land locked and I hope to get a chance to buy it at some point.

This could be a gold mine for you. I'm not an atty but worked in insurance claims for many years. Talk to your ins. agent and your atty about creating a Hold Harmless agreement specifically for cutting their wood. Basically the HH stipulates you assume sole liability for your actions and your insurance policy backs it up. Just make it clear to your agent that this wood is for your personal use and not a business venture.

I've got 18 acres of mostly Aspen/Poplar, some Elm, a bit of Ash, and lots of scrub Willow/Tag Alder. In past years I would cull out about 2 cord a year but I'm getting too old to carry the crap out on my shoulder so now I just leave it for the woodpeckers. I buy my logs, 12 cord at a time dropped in my yard.

20 - 22 acres of sustainable firewood and market logs. (Plus two "swinging" 40s...neighbors)

cabin2008005.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.