What split size works best in your Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2010
North MS
I see comments concerning split size often in some of these post. I tend to use bigger splits because I think back to the days of the old King heater and we would load it heavy at night close the air and go to bed.
I know the company tells you, on the Fireview to put one good size split in the back and fill with small splits. Someone explain to me the ideas associated with that and why I need to go to the effort of spliting perfectly good 7 or 8 inch splits into 4 inch splits for them to burn up faster.
I do understand that I can put more splits in if they are smaller, but pure volume of wood may be more with larger splits. I know I probably could make a hotter fire with smaller splits but would they last as long? I like to hand split my wood but I don't like to do it so much that I want to split everything to 4 inches at the wides part.

There are two main reasons that they tell you to make small splits. One, of course, is for quicker seasoning. Two, because the smaller splits will burn at a steadier rate when put in the stove. I personally make most of my splits on the larger side (some of the overnight burn wood barely fits into my stove) because I like fewer reloads. But I also season my wood for three years, that is the catch. When I cut down a tree I use everything from 2" and up as firewood, so there is plenty of small stuff for relights and kindling. I split everything with a diameter of 5" and up to assist in seasoning as well. These new stoves are made to run in cycles and when starting out with one you are best off making small to medium splits. Once you learn the stove and flue you have, you can adjust your wood to suit your purposes.

Airflow through the firebox, and surface area of the wood.
Not sure about burning faster per say, as i think you can pack the box better with smaller splits. I notice a better more controlable burn than with big monsters in there.

Stump_Branch said:
Airflow through the firebox, and surface area of the wood.
Not sure about burning faster per say, as i think you can pack the box better with smaller splits. I notice a better more controlable burn than with big monsters in there.
good point, stump. The air flowing through all the gaps is another reason for smaller splits. But my stove heats the house so well and our house is very efficient, that I use bigger stuff in there to achieve a slower burn.

jackofalltrades said:
I see comments concerning split size often in some of these post. I tend to use bigger splits because I think back to the days of the old King heater and we would load it heavy at night close the air and go to bed. I know the company tells you, on the Fireview to put one good size split in the back and fill with small splits. Someone explain to me the ideas associated with that and why I need to go to the effort of spliting perfectly good 7 or 8 inch splits into 4 inch splits for them to burn up faster.

Jack, it is great to have various sized splits. Typically when loading the stove for a longer burn, I will put the largest piece in the bottom rear of the firebox. Many times this is a round rather than a split. If you first rake the coals to the front of the stove before loading like that, you can indeed get a longer burn time. As for filling the stove with all large splits, if the wood is good and dry then it will do no harm. However, you will usually be able to load it a bit tighter using some smaller splits.

Should you re-split those 7-8" splits? Maybe some of them but certainly not all of them, but it has to be difficult loading good with all splits of that size.

Typically another thing we like to do is when splitting wood, we like to have a good number of square or rectangular splits. These not only work well for building the ends of the wood pile but they work really good for packing the stove tight when you need lots of heat for a long time.

Backwoods Savage said:
jackofalltrades said:
I see comments concerning split size often in some of these post. I tend to use bigger splits because I think back to the days of the old King heater and we would load it heavy at night close the air and go to bed. I know the company tells you, on the Fireview to put one good size split in the back and fill with small splits. Someone explain to me the ideas associated with that and why I need to go to the effort of spliting perfectly good 7 or 8 inch splits into 4 inch splits for them to burn up faster.

Jack, it is great to have various sized splits. Typically when loading the stove for a longer burn, I will put the largest piece in the bottom rear of the firebox. Many times this is a round rather than a split. If you first rake the coals to the front of the stove before loading like that, you can indeed get a longer burn time. As for filling the stove with all large splits, if the wood is good and dry then it will do no harm. However, you will usually be able to load it a bit tighter using some smaller splits.

Should you re-split those 7-8" splits? Maybe some of them but certainly not all of them, but it has to be difficult loading good with all splits of that size.

Typically another thing we like to do is when splitting wood, we like to have a good number of square or rectangular splits. These not only work well for building the ends of the wood pile but they work really good for packing the stove tight when you need lots of heat for a long time.
Dennis,
+1 on the square or rectangular splits for the ends. that is if you are lucky enough to have them.

Attachments

• DSCF2909.jpg
    DSCF2909.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 695
Here's why you need to go through the effort: (This was my experience earlier this year with my Fireview)

large pieces of wood that barely fit in the door= 450 °F

After getting straightened out by Todd and BWSavage I split them smaller. Those smaller splits = 650 °F on the first fire.

fv

I thought I was the only one who split square pieces - a hydraulic splitter makes doing that a lot easier. I like the square splits for packing my small stove for an overnight burn.

If I'm splitting rounds 12" or less I try for mostly triangles. If I'm working down big rounds I end up with mostly squares.

Jack, was your question well answered? Or do you have a followup?

I don't want to see the thread go too far off track if you aren't taken care of.

pen

DBoon said:
I thought I was the only one who split square pieces - a hydraulic splitter makes doing that a lot easier. I like the square splits for packing my small stove for an overnight burn.

Nah . . . I like making squares and rectangles . . . easier to stack on the ends and as you said you can pack things in well when need be . . . besides I get bored easily and tire of making slabs and triangles . . . maybe one day I'll split up an octagon or pentagon or something.

Sorry I am just getting back to this thread and thank you Pen for asking if the question was answered. I do not feel like I have gotten a good answer yet really. I thought some about that yesterday afternoon while I was splitting some wood and I would like some other thoughts about it if anyone has any.

I like a mixture of big and small splits.
I put a couple of large splits in first then pack around them with small splits.

I split most of my wood to around 4x4 +/-. I was having a tough time getting my Black Locust to get going so I started re splitting down to more like 2x4 maybe even smaller. I get going much faster on a reload and I can pack the stove tightly. I also like to have a few big ones to add to the mix.

Reactions: Berner
Status
Not open for further replies.