What stove and where should it go? - Drawings included

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
We're planning to raise the roof on our home, which will give us two floors of livable space. Each will be approx. 600 sq. ft. The 1st floor will have an open design, and with windows and doors, I can really only see one place for the stove to go (the red dot). Any other suggestions? If the stove goes where I think it will, how will it heat the rest of the house? Will the bathroom and other back room on the top floor get adequate heat? I'm assuming the stove will have the single-wall black pipe until it meets the ceiling, then double-wall insulated pipe through the top floor and roof. Is there a way to exchange heat as it passes through the top floor? Will this make one of the bedrooms too hot? Or should we just build around the pipe and not worry about it?

We'll heat exclusively with wood and install electrical heaters as a backup. The climate here is much like the foothills of the Rockies, maybe a bit wetter. Even in the dead of winter, if the sun is shining bright, we get good warmth through the afternoon. We've been happy with our Jotul F100 and how it heats in our current set up (essentially the first floor plus a wall that makes a second room). Any suggestions on stoves for this size home? Would probably need a European manufacturer, such as Jotul.

(The stairs at the bottom of the 1st floor picture lead to the outside. We'll need to descend a flight of stairs to exit, and at the bottom we'll have a mud room. Not much need to heat that section.)

1st Floor
1stfloor-1.jpg

Top Floor
topfloor-2.jpg

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

One of the keys to heating the rooms that are farthest from the stove is good insulation and windows. If the heat can't escape and the cold breezes aren't blowing in, the room will be warm. Just leave the doors open. At least that is the simple answer.

Wow, that will be quite a change. Looks nice. I like the stove location, it is a focal point, yet not in the way of furniture placement. The only other location that looks possible would be at the L of the stairs. I could see a nice hearth there and it would help heat get upstairs a little better. But if the upstairs is well insulated and you like it a little cooler in the bedrooms, then the current location should work ok. As for stoves I would consider the F400 as a nice size. You will get longer burns and more btus, yet won't be overwhelmed. Alternative might be a mid-sized Morso like the 2110 or 7110. Wittus? Or you could go for a soapstone? kacheloven?

Here's a interesting design:
http://www.die-ofen-manufaktur.de/engl/

I like two location. By the stairs and the spot with the red dot.

Stair location may be more central, maybe easier to install hearth-wise.

Depending on traffic patterns, furniture placement and lifestyle, the spot you',ve already picked may be most practical.
First glance I like being able to see the stove from the kitchen.

Assuming those are double french doors , will the stove fit there and meet local codes ? Looks tight. (red dot location)

Totally unrelated:
Is the upstairs toilet located on the outside wall for noise (DWV)constraints ?

Good question Bill. There would be less plumbing and a shorter main run if the toilet was in the corner, alongside the sink with a small privacy wall between them.

Thanks Bill and BeG - As for the plumbing, we're not committed to the placement of the toilet, bath, etc. There are no codes that I know of to prevent us from doing what we want, but it's worth looking into. I, personally, would like to as much of the plumbing from the upstairs bath down to the kitchen pretty much be a straight line. And I see that being on the interior wall so we have less worry about the pipes freezing on the exterior walls. Plus, it'll be more simple for our plumber, who, I know for a fact, likes simple.

When you say put the stove at the "L" of the staircase, where do you mean exactly? Most homes like ours in this neck of the woods have an open staircase design. I can't imagine putting the stove under the stairs, rather more in the corner of the "L," off the wall the width of a stair. If that's the case, wouldn't you lose all that space behind and under the stairs, plus clearance around the hearth? Could you still make a closet room?

Hadn't really considered the doors being fully open and their proximity to the stove. France being France, they'll say it's a non-issue because why would you want to open those doors anyhow when the stove is going? I'm showing a little more than 2 feet clearance in the middle with both doors wide open. I envision door stoppers protecting the hearth and doors.

If the stove was in the corner where the staircase heads upstairs, then a closet on the office side could be built in to utilize the under the stairs space. The first choice location is fine too. I agree that seeing the stove from the kitchen would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.