What stove to chose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok.... do you have a question?

Welcome, how about starting with a description of the home's age, insulation, floors, floorplan, etc. Then describe the room in which the stove is proposed to go. That will help us figure out the size stove. Next, it would be helpful to know the budget and what stoves seem attractive so far.

Tell you what- I wish I had perused this forum BEFORE I went and got a stove- consider yourself ahead of the game, and good luck. Oh yeah- and pay attention- these guys know their stuff...

Besides the particulars about the house, you might want to add purpose. Is this going to be a primary heat source? Secondary? Just for looks/occasional use?

Sorry I have not replied. I am still figuring the site out. I live in central Illinois. My house is about 3 years old, 2x6 walls with fiberglass insulation, and house wrap. I do have full basement, the back wall of the basement is above grade, but insulated with spray foam. There are no vaulted ceilings, eight foot ceilings. The house is a ranch that is 1800 sf. The floor plan is one open room and then our three bedrooms. So it should be easy to heat by centering the stove in the main part of the house. This is a new installation so there is no chimney present. I would like to do a stove to use a primary heat as much as possible. I like a stove because it can be used in emergency or survival situations. You do not rely on electricity with a simple stove. So that is it in a nut shell. I would like to spend less than $3000 for a complete install. I like the Quadrafire 4300 step top ( wish it took longer log ), jotul 500 oslo ( not sure if cast iron is as maint. free as plate steel ), hearthstone homestead ( maybe too much money ) . Thank you for any input.

Status
Not open for further replies.