Q&A What temperature outside to use fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I just moved into a house with a fireplace and- never having owned a fireplace before- I wanted to use it right away. It's the middle of winter and I've gotten conflicting opinions from my friends on how cold it should be outside to use your fireplace. A couple of friends said "Don't use it unless it's above 32 degrees outside." and a couple said "Use it whenever you want." Is there a certain at which it's most efficient to use my fireplace?

Answer:

The fireplace is inefficient at any temperature- but the colder it is-the more heat from your home (which you already paid to heat) will go up the chimney.So- use it anytime....but if you are going to use often you may consider upgrading it with a fireplace insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.