What temps are btu advertisements based off?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
At what temp does the 30 put out 75,000 btu?

At what temp does the Mansfield put out 80,000?

Is there an industry standard or does each manufacturer choose their own temperature? If they choose their own temperature what is to stop them from heating a stove up to white hot and using that number?

Matt

I would think that temp is irrelevant. I'd expect it to be the (firebox capacity in lbs) x (average btus/lb of wood) x (efficiency of the unit) divided by average hrs burn time. But let's let the experts chime in.

IE: 50 lbs x 8,000 btus x .75 / 6hrs = 50,000 btus/hr.

That method makes a good deal of sense, but you can fit more lbs of locust than poplar into a stove. I've seen firebox calculations conveniently forgetting thgat that there are firebricks taking up a considerable volume also. I think they test with Douglas fir, I wonder if that is the wood they use for BTU calculations also.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.