what the hay? 13nc mobile home approved am i ignorant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
The out side air kit makes the 13 nc MobHom approved right? According to the manuel the pedestal model is the only one approved. The pedestal has nothing to do with it and is not atached in no way to the OAK that i could see. So putting the legs on should be no problem right? Try to post a pic of my room soon.

A mobile home stove has a requirement to be bolted down to the floor. Perhaps that is not an option with the legs?

I am not sure as all of the stove specs I have read say that they are mobile home approved with the pedestal. Most of the inspectors will go by what the Manuel says.

I don't know, so I'm speculating here...but I imagine it could be that because of the radiant heat from the bottom of the stove to the floor, the pedestal model was tested and approved for mobile home installation, while the same stove on legs was not. I'd read the manual very carefully, and if in doubt contact the manufacturer. Rick

I'm fairly certain bolting down is required and that can only be done with the pedastal.

Neighbor had to come up with a way to bolt his stove down in his mobile home.
His stove didn't have a bolt down kit but at that time they allowed fabrication - but the fire dept. inspector had to be happy with it. I don't think they allow fabrication any more. I'd have to call and ask. Alll it takes is one fool to threaten over a good / better / best fabrication - opinion and fabrications end.

Kinda dumb.
1. mobile homes are no longer allowed here. [existing are grandfather to replacement - then the grandfather ends]
2. mobile homes always had a tax advantage to be made non-mobile. So everyone Cut the tow frame off and never even bought the axles and tires. The tow companies took them back with them.
3. I could see if we had the kind of weather in the Winter that might blow a mobile home over and a fire could cause bodily harm - not in SE Mass.

I am in the process of installing the same stove in a mobile home. I talked to Englander and they told me that the pedestal having the ability to be bolted down is what makes it mobile home approved. I have also found out (not through Englander) that mobile homes must have an OAK and double wall pipe inside. I also asked them if the r2 rating was the same for both the pedestal and legs and they said it was.

oilstinks - this may be a technicality, but your stove is installed in an add on to the home right? (I recall pics from an earlier thread) Not sure if this changes the mobile home / not mobile home discussion. I have also read that, in Canada, if the home installed on a foundation then it is no longer considered a mobile home.

Is bolting the stove down to keep it still when storms hit? In a good storm (and I'm not trying to be "tornado in a trailer park" funny here, but I could be, I grew up in one) I could see a mobile shaking enough that a burning stove (or not burning stove) may shift, causing pipe/flue alignment issues. Anyone know if this is the origin of the requirement?

The stove is actually on my deck which is or (was until wood heat) a 12x32 supported by 10 4x6 pt concreted in ground

Status
Not open for further replies.