What the heck is eating my firewood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry H

Jan 30, 2007
Western New York
...and what can I do about it??

So I went out to survey the woodpile today and do a little splitting, and noticed holes bored through some of the logs, with little piles of sawdust beneath the wood (none of which was there a week ago). Upon splitting, I found some larvae-type creatures worming their way through the wood. This is the first time I've ever had this problem, but it's been a very rainy summer here so far, much moreso than usual. Any ideas on what it is and what I can/should do about it? Pictures below:

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

Larvae looks like powderpost beetle.

I would think you can eat them. If so then perhaps this thread should be moved to the Green Room.

Maybe on FearFactor T.V., but not for me. The wood that they seem to be in the most is stuff that's still in the round that fell last fall two doors down from me (I think it's Hickory). It was bucked then, but just splitting now. It's my '09-10 wood I'm splitting, so these little buggers shouldn't make it through this winter should they? Anybody have any experience with these beetles?

I've got some pieces of Hickory with the same problem...just the younger shagbark and nothing else....
Nice Hickory stash btw..........

WoodButcher

A little bit of internet research seems to indicate that the time of year tree was blew over, was cut, the fact that it had not yet been split, and the humid wet summer has made this Hickory a prime candidate for these insects. Still trying to figure out if they are real powder post beetle larvae, or false powder post larvae. I'll have to check the "dust" for it's coarse or powder-fine consistency in the daylight tomorrow.

What we call powder post beetles here are very small, they make about sixteenth inch diameter holes in wood. Of course the name could refer to different species depending on locality. Anyhow, the important thing is that they are wood borers. The tiny ones I know of seem to like cedar.
The mould on the end of your rounds shows that they were quite moist which probably allowed the grubs to survive. If the rounds are split up and dried the critters will die. Well some might survive to pupate into beetles to infest new wet wood.

All I do is not bring any infested wood into the house until it's ready to go into the fire.

wahoowad said:
I would think you can eat them. If so then perhaps this thread should be moved to the Green Room.

OK- this was predictable, until I got to the Green Room part- then I almost spit coffee on my monitor. LOL

My guess is that this is softwood and probably pine. It could be any number of beetles, powderpost, longhorned etc. our NYS DEC is trying to control them but they are hard to do. When you stand next to the piles, you hsould hear a chewing noise.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7255.html

They tear up my hardwood splits too, also prefering the hickory

Any sections of wood that I find borers in (usually it's punky anyway) I stack separately. I then burn that in my workshop stove. I only bring in what I am actually going to burn immediately.
Al

I get 'em too. Don't sweat it. Split the stuff up so it will begin to season. Once the wood IS seasoned (dry) them things will die or move on. Its the moisture in the wood that allows them to survive there.

Edit: and if you get alot of them...consider a bamboo skewer, a little olive oil and some jerk seasoning, slap them on the grill for about 3 min. Crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle.

Jags said:
I get 'em too. Don't sweat it. Split the stuff up so it will begin to season. Once the wood IS seasoned (dry) them things will die or move on. Its the moisture in the wood that allows them to survive there.

Edit: and if you get alot of them...consider a bamboo skewer, a little olive oil and some jerk seasoning, slap them on the grill for about 3 min. Crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle.

I got a bunch of them too and posted a message a month or so ago about them.
I've decided to throw a party, you guys bring the beer, I'll supply all the grubs you can eat!!!! Yum, them's good eatin', Bo!! :vampire:

I too have the exact same problem. They are powderpost beetles that lay their eggs on the wood. Those larvae bore through the wood, usually just a little past the bark. They hang out there until spring when they emerge as beetles. Of course by then they will be toast. Right now, when I go out to piles, if I squat down next to them I hear a steady crunching sound. They are chewing away at my precious wood. They like my oak the best. I actually contacted the DEC last year about this. They connected me with the inspector that would come to my area to check it out, but since it wasn't the asian longhorn, she didn't want to bother. She told me once the wood is dry, they leave it alone. However, this is not true. My wood is stored in full sun and stacked high off the ground with lots of air space. I have some VERY dry stacks, and those larvae are crunching away. About two months ago I noticed the beetles on the wood. A few times a day I would go out to the piles and kill the 5-10 beetles I would see. Apparently they already laid their eggs, or there were a whole hell of a lot more that I missed. Anyway, I just make sure I don't let the wood stay in the house. I bring it in and toss straight into the stove. This is a serious problem though. The woman from the DEC said they like to attack live trees. Why are they targeting our firewood?

Just wanted to add something- It's interesting how the person who started this thread and most people who responded to it are from New York. Almost all others are along the eastern seaboard as well. This could be a worsening problem around here. I started on these forums about a year ago, so I haven't been here long. Any of you "oldtimers" notice a lot more of this particular kind of posts? I am sure many posts about insects (carpenter ants, termites...) have come around over the years, but I mean this particular post-about beetles/larvae.

All I know is damn! you've got long fingers.

IMG_1361.gif

Move along . . . nothing to see here.

Thanks to all who responded. My burn plan will be to move this stuff straight into the firebox when the time comes, no lingering in the house for this wood. My wife says if you think my fingers are long....:)

WaterBoss said:
Thanks to all who responded. My burn plan will be to move this stuff straight into the firebox when the time comes, no lingering in the house for this wood. My wife says if you think my fingers are long....:)

mmmm!The smell of BBQ worms :lol: just kiddin!Sounds like you have a good plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.