What the Temp blowing out of your Harman?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donn Fletcher

Jan 10, 2012
South Western NH
Good evening everyone. I bought an inexpensive IR heat sensing gun a few weeks back. Mainly to locate drafts in my 1890 Far House. The last few days have been around 0 up here in NH. I've been using the gun pointing it at my stoves blower to get a read out of the heat coming out of it. I've used 2 brands of pellets. Barefoot and zturmans. The results were Barefoot I had temps around 370 degrees and Turmans between 290 and 310. That was the with the stove on stove setting and dial turned up to max 7
Anyone else try this and if so how do those numbers sound?
My stove had a hard time keeping up with 0 degree temps.
I better use that gun to find and seal some serious drafts in an old house.

Donn Fletcher said:
Good evening everyone. I bought an inexpensive IR heat sensing gun a few weeks back. Mainly to locate drafts in my 1890 Far House. The last few days have been around 0 up here in NH. I've been using the gun pointing it at my stoves blower to get a read out of the heat coming out of it. I've used 2 brands of pellets. Barefoot and zturmans. The results were Barefoot I had temps around 370 degrees and Turmans between 290 and 310. That was the with the stove on stove setting and dial turned up to max 7
Anyone else try this and if so how do those numbers sound?
My stove had a hard time keeping up with 0 degree temps.
I better use that gun to find and seal some serious drafts in an old house.

I have only played around with a meat thermometer and got a reading of around 270 with Greene Teams at stove temp setting 5 (of 7) with my P61. I think the IR guns measure surface temperature but I may be wrong. Therefore measuring air temp with one might not work that great.

Also what Harman stove do you have? The model makes a difference.

A couple days ago I pointed my IR gun at my stove right above where it says Harman. I was about 3 feet away and it registered 527 degrees. I'm burning Turmans. It was that really cold day so it was cranking.

newf lover said:
A couple days ago I pointed my IR gun at my stove right above where it says Harman. I was about 3 feet away and it registered 527 degrees. I'm burning Turmans. It was that really cold day so it was cranking.

I have also seen temps in the 500 plus range with the ir gun especially on the sides of the stove but stick a meat thermometer in the convection airstream and I bet it isn't nearly as high.

I check the air temp flowing out of my harman accentra. The guns you are useing are reading the cast frame and ambient temp. The air flowing out of the stove is what I am concerned with. On the right side right after a cleaning I get 250-270 with turman and 220-230 with green supreem,cleanfire the same. On the left side blower I get 230-240. This is only for the 1st 2 days after a cleaning. Days 3 and 4 after cleaning 220-230. Days 5 and 6 200-215. This has been consistant for the past 4 winters. No matter what I burn and I have bought all the best brands ever mentioned on this forum. Nothing ever beats the heat than the 1st 2 days after a cleanout.

Interesting, I thought with a Harman you'd see the same temps with any pellet. Hmmm! ducking for cover again! :cheese:

If your trying to compare stove to stove results. Might want to post the details like room temp/stove temp and What feed rate your set at.

playing around with an IR gun on a majolica XXV, i find temps all over the place, depending on twhere you take the measurement (and yes, it IS the surface temp). The glass is abt 500 degrees, the acorns on either side of the air ourlet is about 200

If I understand it right, the Harman monitors the exhaust gas temps in stove mode, and it still probably uses the exhaust temp to control itself when in room temp mode…? So, the air temp coming out of the heat exchanger depends on the efficiency of the exchanger, which (surprise!) will be more efficient if it's clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.