What the?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have access to quite a bit of Black Walnut right now. Tried hard to get an interested party for a 34 inch diameter, 18 foot trunk, with no luck. Hated to cut it up for the loss of good lumber, but hated more to see it go to waste all together. Keep tossing around the idea of building a bandsaw mill to cut these up. Just don't have the time right now.

I'm uuuuuhhhhh, speechless at that deal. Send the guy a reply offering to remove the tree for $ 250.00, & chip the brush for another $ 250.00 & see what he says. A C

I doubt it is worth that already cut in boards and kiln dried.

mywaynow said:
I have access to quite a bit of Black Walnut right now. Tried hard to get an interested party for a 34 inch diameter, 18 foot trunk, with no luck. Hated to cut it up for the loss of good lumber, but hated more to see it go to waste all together. Keep tossing around the idea of building a bandsaw mill to cut these up. Just don't have the time right now.

34 inch pretty HOT PIECE! really only need 10-12 foot long.

My cousin and one of his buddies are doing some small time logging here in SE Michigan. He said the market for black walnut is pretty good right now, but supposed to fall off next year. But wow. Could you get $1500 after it's milled?

Only way it would be worth that is if it was veneer quality logs. I sold a bur oak that size or a little larger for $500.00 It was just the bottom 2 logs I sold but it was veneer quality and the
lumber jack dropped and cut it. They want to drop them themselves to avoid shake etc.

schortie said:
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mat/2466665041.html

"Black walnut tree wood. Whole tree over 30' high broken into several large pieces. Northville, MI. $1,500."

I hope he'll sell me a few broken chunks for a few hundred. :ahhh:

Walnut seems to go a bit higher up there. "Bargains" to be had in the Hoosier state:

Walnut Logs - $300 (Kingman)

Date: 2011-06-21, 10:36PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a large walnut tree that was knocked down by a storm, I have already cut it into 6 logs. $300.00 takes them all.

There are still many dreamers out there....

lukem said:
schortie said:

"Black walnut tree wood. Whole tree over 30' high broken into several large pieces. Northville, MI. $1,500."

Walnut seems to go a bit higher up there. "Bargains" to be had in the Hoosier state:

I have a large walnut tree that was knocked down by a storm, I have already cut it into 6 logs. $300.00 takes them all.

Had me going til the 6 foot part....lol golfball! :lol: And the fact he had a saw big enough to cut it!

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
schortie said:

Had me going til the 6 foot part....lol golfball! :lol: And the fact he had a saw big enough to cut it!

I've never seen a walnut tree that would yeild more than 2 8' logs that are worth milling. If he has 6 out of one tree, then it is either a MONSTER, or the logs are 2' each.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
schortie said:

I've never seen a walnut tree that would yeild more than 2 8' logs that are worth milling. If he has 6 out of one tree, then it is either a MONSTER, or the logs are 2' each.

I would rather have the first 10 foot and over 26 inch's wide, otherwise just take it to a band mill. I look for the ones Know on else can do! Table or bar tops. :) Home owner will never be able to cross cut what I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.