What to buy for a used wood fired boiler? New Yorker wf100 or Powrmatic mw100?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mainewood, email me, we can arrange a mutal time...

machinistbcb said:
I will try to work on getting a copy made. Then I could mail the copy. It will probably be next week before I get a chance to do it

I am new to this forum. I am searching for an owner's manual for my Powrmatic MW-100. One or more people on this forum indicated that they had an owner's manual. I would love to get a copy. I recently moved into a house with one of these in the basement. I have not yet fired up the boiler. I am concerned that I may have a valve turned the wrong way or that I'll run it too hot and blow up or burn down the house. Can anyone out there direct me to a place or person where I might find an owner's manual for this thing?

I have a manual. I'll PM you.

If anyone else needs a copy let me know.

Thanks,

Paul

Add one more Memco MW-100 120,000 BTU add-on wood boiler user to the email thread. My family had one growihng up and my parents use a comparable brand/model now. I purchased the Memco from private owner in Orland, Meaine after seeing it listed in swap/buy/sell book. Having considered/looked at other brands/models of used add-on indoor traditional-style wood boilers, when I saw this one, it appeared in excellent condition and previous owner's statement that he hadn't used it for 8 years seemed accurate. Purchased and brought it back in September and installed it first week in November and just fired it up two weeks ago.

Am extremely happy with it so far, especially since the weather has turned cold the past few days and have been able to reasonably fine tune the control settings, when/how much to add wood, boiler temp/pressure management, etc. It is add-on to my oil boiler and supplies both baseboard heat in two story 2,000 square foot 6 year old, relatively well-insulated home plus heats all the domestic hot water). Oil boiler has only come on one period of time in past 48 hours when wasn't able to tend the wood boiler for about 8 hours. Have a designated chimney flue that had built just for wood when built house and have own woodlot plus neighboring family wood lot to get wood off and generally enjoy cutting/preparing firewood so pretty much all set in that regard.

Can say that so far the unit in the colder weather right now burns/idles at approx. 200 F +/- 15 F wood boiler temp w/ pressure between 15-20, maybe 21 or 22 if temp happens to creep over 210. When around and tending the fire, once strong bed of coals is established have been able to add a 6 inch diameter or 6 inch wide split piece of wood approximatley every hour and half to maintain good idling burning temp at approx. the 200 F noted above. Have generally found that if can time it to add about 3 average size pieces of wood to a strong bed of hot coals when leaving or going to bed, I can tend it again in about 3-1/2 hours later at which time the boiler temp has been around 180 F and there has been an adequate bed of coals to add more wood to.

The traditional style wood boilers may indeed not be as efficient as the newer gasification boilers, but bottom line so far with my Memco is that...........it is cold outside, very warm inside, not burning oil, and MUCH less expensive to purchase/start up. I am happy with that.

Oops. Wrong thread!

But since I'm here and can't tell how to delete this, in your experience if the gauges and switches are dead or missing on the Memco MW100 would it be smarter to just purchase a working boiler that is maybe more efficient? The Honeywells on those suckers are expensive.

Thanks,

j

Status
Not open for further replies.