What to buy: Preparing for a new furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpeg
It's a very narrow skid you may not get a jack into it.

You might be best to slide it onto a pallet jack or onto a cart.

When I installed my sisters Tundra, I slid it off the pallet onto a 4 wheel 24" x 24" furniture dolly...once it was in the basement I finished the install myself, including setting it up on 4 concrete blocks...one end at a time...using nothing more than a digging bar and some wood blocks...work smart not hard ;) ==c

When I installed my sisters Tundra, I slid it off the pallet onto a 4 wheel 24" x 24" furniture dolly...once it was in the basement I finished the install myself, including setting it up on 4 concrete blocks...one end at a time...using nothing more than a digging bar and some wood blocks...work smart not hard ;) ==c
What's the saying? Give me a lever and a place to stick it, I can move entire world.

Reactions: brenndatomu
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Got her down no real damage. Took me and one Neighbour about 10 min. I've been planning and checking all week and it payed off. First tundra stripped down to the bones for weight and size. Next go to
Princess auto, the equivalent to your northern or harbour freight. Get dolly and cart. Cart tundra onto porch turn around on porch. Through door onto left over subfloor so as not to mess up tile and down the 2x4 rails onto cart. Hardest part was corner as you have to get it vertical. So we gouged some drywall. Pfft who cares. I'm a happy boy now here we go!

View attachment 175852 View attachment 175853 View attachment 175854 View attachment 175855 View attachment 175856 View attachment 175857 Got her down no real damage. Took me and one Neighbour about 10 min. I've been planning and checking all week and it payed off. First tundra stripped down to the bones for weight and size. Next go to
Princess auto, the equivalent to your northern or harbour freight. Get dolly and cart. Cart tundra onto porch turn around on porch. Through door onto left over subfloor so as not to mess up tile and down the 2x4 rails onto cart. Hardest part was corner as you have to get it vertical. So we gouged some drywall. Pfft who cares. I'm a happy boy now here we go!
excellent good job your idea is better then mine I was going to put down 2 2x4 on stair and put stove on a heavy mat and slide it down but I like your idea mu problem is at the bottom of the stairs there is a wall about 28" away so I think I will cart it down to last step unhitch from cart manually set it down on the floor and cart it into position I live south of North Bay got a lot more snow than you thanks appreciated your help and ideas Jack

View attachment 175852 View attachment 175853 View attachment 175854 View attachment 175855 View attachment 175856 View attachment 175857 Got her down no real damage. Took me and one Neighbour about 10 min. I've been planning and checking all week and it payed off. First tundra stripped down to the bones for weight and size. Next go to
Good job JB! That is one stripped down Tundra right there! I think taking it apart and putting it back together is a good lesson for anybody...helps get you familiar with how the thing is made and/or works.
Speaking of...if I were you I would take the top and sides off and have a look around while you can...it is really easy if you do it before the ducts are hooked up (alot easier if you have power screwdriver...there's a bunch of screws there!) Just an FYI for anybody that takes any of the body panels (or blower) off the Tundra...maybe they have fixed this by now, but on the earlier models the screws they used weren't threaded all the way up, so right about the time you though it was almost tight...it would "strip"...and since there was no threads there, the screw didn't want to come back out then either! A putty knife or jimmy bar with a sharp edge under the screw head while turning the screw will bring it back onto the threaded part of the screw...then a #10 flat washer on the screw will allow you to put it back in and tighten it. I went ahead a washered all my screws just to get it out of the way...much easier than seeing if each individual screw will tighten up, and then fight it back off if not!
While the panels are off I'd get a flashlight and a small mirror and scrutinize all the welds real close...there have been a few (mine included) that weren't welded in spots, or the weld was just real thin...just a heads up

Wasn't too hard to take apart and put back together. I did grab my mirror and looked at what I could get at weld wise without taking panels off. I used to be a welding inspector so I know what to look for. My welds from what I could see are acceptable. They are not artwork by any means but no very bad defects. Looking forward to getting her installed, don't think I'll have time before I go to Cuba so it'll have to wait a bit.

Wasn't too hard to take apart and put back together. I did grab my mirror and looked at what I could get at weld wise without taking panels off. I used to be a welding inspector so I know what to look for. My welds from what I could see are acceptable. They are not artwork by any means but no very bad defects. Looking forward to getting her installed, don't think I'll have time before I go to Cuba so it'll have to wait a bit.
Glad to hear. Have fun in Cuba. When you get it fired up let us know what you think

Reactions: jb6l6gc
Awesome will do maybe if I get anxious I'll do the switch later this week before I go and do a cpl of test/break in burns

Awesome will do maybe if I get anxious I'll do the switch later this week before I go and do a cpl of test/break in burns
Just know that going from the Hotblast to the Tundra is gonna be a bit like going from riding around in a dragster to driving a Prius...you'll get there, just a little slower, and using a lot less fuel. I guess what I am saying is that the Tundra runs cooler duct temps...but for a longer time than the Hotblast...get to thinking about it...seems the Hotblast was appropriately named...because you get a hot blast (and then its over ;lol)
Being nosy here, what takes you to Koo ba, business or pleasure?

Just know that going from the Hotblast to the Tundra is gonna be a bit like going from riding around in a dragster to driving a Prius...you'll get there, just a little slower, and using a lot less fuel. I guess what I am saying is that the Tundra runs cooler duct temps...but for a longer time than the Hotblast...get to thinking about it...seems the Hotblast was appropriately named...because you get a hot blast (and then its over ;lol)
Yeah, the old Jensen in my basement I fired her up this week it and rose the temperature 10 degrees in 3 hours. But it was ALOT of wood.
I can fill the whole firebox over 7.5 cu feet and even turned down to lowest air and no draft it will be gone in 6 to 7 hours

Reactions: jb6l6gc
Pleasure with wifey. I'm a car buff so we've hired a 50's Chevy to take us into Havana for a day.

Ya I'm liking the idea of more control. The hotblast has scared me a few times over the last 3 years for sure! Not to mention having a cleaner chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.