what to consider when doing a hearth stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mban112

Jul 13, 2008
Kansas
As I obsess about my choices I know there are may things I am not thinking about when it comes to putting a stove in a fireplace. Can anyone think of some commonly forgotten problems?

Does there have to be a certain clearance between the sides of the stove and the masonry wall of the fireplace?
Will there need to be some standard clearance at the back of the fireplace wall or does the vent just sit right up against it and go up?

Here are the dimensions of my fireplace: 36" wide. 19" deep. 29 1/4" high. Mantle trim 7 3/4" away from opening on all sides. Mantle itself is 17 1/4" above opening.

I've been learning a ton on this forum.

Attachments

• fireplace.JPG
    fireplace.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 289
Right off the top, I'd say one challenge you face is that the mantle appears to be all wood. Clearances to combustibles are going to be a major consideration. Exactly what sort of installation is that you're contemplating? Do you have a stove in mind? You said "Hearth Stove" in your topic line, is that what you want, or an insert, or a freestanding stove? Sorry, gotta start somewhere. Rick

That woods gotta go.

And don't burn ferrets !!!

I was afraid of that the wood would have to go.

More than anything I think we want a wood stove that sits nicely inside, and a bit outside, the fireplace area. Of course I'm looing at Jotul (F400 and F500), but there's a great deal on an isle royal here in town. I could also see a insert. You know, most bang for the buck is what I want, with the least disruption.

you're sure the wood's got to go? is there any senario where it wouldn't have to go?

I would take the wood out for piece of mind.

You need to figure out clearances from the insert/stove and it's proximity to the wood.
My insert is going in this

IMG_0034.jpg

Meaurements, measurements !!

I'm gonna change my name if I keep getting called "bro" "brother" "-P

mban112 said:
I was afraid of that the wood would have to go.

More than anything I think we want a wood stove that sits nicely inside, and a bit outside, the fireplace area. Of course I'm looing at Jotul (F400 and F500), but there's a great deal on an isle royal here in town. I could also see a insert. You know, most bang for the buck is what I want, with the least disruption.

you're sure the wood's got to go? is there any senario where it wouldn't have to go?

Research, research, research...all the available options are pretty clearly defined on the internet someplace. All the inserts, the stoves, and their specs and their required clearances from combustibles. Rather than asking "Does my wood mantle and surround really have to go?", you might be finding a woodburning appliance you're interested in, something that will fulfill your primary needs (heating your home, whatever), and then asking, "What are the installation requirements which must be met?", and then deciding whether or not you're willing to do what it takes to meet those requirements. Just a sort of "other way 'round lookin' at it". Have fun! Rick

You can put in an insert with a heat shield for the mantle if need be. The wood doesn't always have to go.

If you like the soapstone stoves, look at Hearthstone or Woodstock. Your fireplace is almost exactly like mine. I bought a Woodstock Fireview and I need to extend my hearth and insert a liner in the chimney to install it, but the wood is not going. I will have to run a double wall pipe from the stove to the liner, and all required clearance are good. THe wood trim does not have to be removed. You can set a Hearthstone stove closer to the wall than the Woodstock, but I liked the Woodstock better and they have great review. They are very helpful on the phone. I did not like the Hearthstone dealer here in town, and I refuse to pay them $500 just to deliver the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.