what to cover with?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BWS,
If i remember right it was over toward Lansing area.
The info was from Craigs list i think but was found here on this site.
A search should produce the info but he did say that they were going
to be going to a lighter material so ask before you make that journey.
The ones that I got are holding up very well to the weather.
rn

wendell said:
I have some rubber roofing on some stacks and lumber covers on the rest. Last fall I was finally able to obtain 3 vinyl billboard tarps and will be cutting those up once it cools down. My plan is to cover the stacks with smaller pallets to provide ventilation, run a piece of PVC down the center to provide a little bit of a peak for drainage and then cover with the billboard tarps. I haven't decided if I'm going to put in grommets or just weigh them down with rocks, etc.

Now the question is should I have the Johnsonville Bratwurst up or down?

Up . . . but be sure to contact Johnsonville Bratwurst and tell them that you're now helping to advertise to the passing pilots and airline passengers and want to be paid for the advertising. ;)

firefighterjake said:
Up . . . but be sure to contact Johnsonville Bratwurst and tell them that you're now helping to advertise to the passing pilots and airline passengers and want to be paid for the advertising. ;)

Now there's a thought. Maybe I could make enough to make a few more CAD acquisitions!

On the other hand, it would give the old lady down the street something else to groan about. :cheese:

rustynut said:
remmy,
While brousing this great site last year i ran across a contact for billboard tarps.
Now i've tried a number of the locally available tarps along the way but they do not last.
I do have a permanent structure for my wood but BWS has got me stocking up beyond it's capacity.
I got to wondering about these tarps and looked into them. And they are great if you don't mind that
they have advertisment on them. Very heavy duty and up to withstanding the weather.
The ones that i got were 14 x 44 and i got them for $22 each but had to buy a dozen.
So @ 44 ft long i got 4 out of each !
Now that's a deal !
11 x 14 is more than enough to cover a double pallet stack well.
No signs of wear yet and i'm thinking i will get quite a few years out of each.
I did hear that they may be switching to a lighter material so..............
See what you can find if you are interested.
Nothing better than a permanent structure but this price was right
rn

I have some of the heavy ones and they do work well. The light ones will work for a year or two.

Wally World has these silver and brown tarps that hold up very well. I get the 9' x 12' tarps and fold them over so that they just cover the top layer of wood in my 12' long racks. If you fold them the right way, you can use the grommets along one edge and a long piece of rope inside the fold along the other edge to lash it to rack. I use small galvanized eye loops screwed into the uprights of the rack as anchor points. This method has worked very well for me - keeps the weather off the wood but allows maximum drying area of the wood itself and wind does not destroy the tarps as they are very well secured to the racks. They even look decent according to my wife who made me promise to not make the yard look like Green Acres!

I'll try and post some pictures if I can get my photos resized so that this forum will accept them.

Status
Not open for further replies.