What to do about a fireplace insert which is 5/16" too deep for fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clammypollack

Oct 8, 2015
Long Island, NY
Greetings Hearthers!
I am replacing a wood burning fireplace insert. The fireplace is 17" deep but sadly the insert we really like is the Napoleon EPI3C which is 17 5/16" deep. One dealer says this is no problem but the manufacturer and one other dealer say it's a bad idea. Is there any way to safely install it, maybe with some insulation behind the surround? Our only option is the Napolean 1402 but wifey hates the look of it.
Please help!

Welcome. It should be easy to attach some black painted filler stock to the back edge of the surround to make up this gap.

Reactions: Clammypollack
Welcome. It should be easy to attach some black painted filler stock to the back edge of the surround to make up this gap.
Thanks for the welcome and the response. I feel the same way. I called Napoleon but their representative said I shouldn't do it for safety reasons and smoke and or carbon monoxide somehow made it out of the liner and entered our house. He definitely was thinking about liability. I've had my present insert in for 15 years with no issues. Thanks again.

This concern would have been true if the stove was installed as a slammer, with nothing connected to it. Then the seal at the surround is critical. But that is no longer legal. With an attached liner a tight seal of the surround to the fireplace face is not required. Most just push up against it. A small gap there is not uncommon. If the liner fails you have other problems in addition to leakage concerns.

For sure I recommend having good smoke and CO alarms. That's your backup defense system. A good liner properly installed and maintained should be secure and leak free for many years.

OP, could there have been some confusion as whether the liner would line up with the stove outlet.
I can't imagine a manufacturer thinking that a gap in a faceplate would be dangerous as long as the liner were properly attached.

1 x 5/16 aluminum bar stock painted (high temp) to match your surround and attached to brick/masonry with a couple of tapcon screws. Easy peasy.

Thanks for the welcome and the response. I feel the same way. I called Napoleon but their representative said I shouldn't do it for safety reasons and smoke and or carbon monoxide somehow made it out of the liner and entered our house. He definitely was thinking about liability. I've had my present insert in for 15 years with no issues. Thanks again.
I used to run my insert with the surround off so I could get temperature readings behind, I can't see what having a small gap that your probably going to fill in anyways that has to do with carbon monoxide or smoke entering room. I would think you just need to alter it like these guys said to make the gap more eye appealing?

I don't have any type of surround, Just a Big Stove stuffed in a Bigger Fireplace (With an 8" x 25' Stainless Liner) when the stove is not on the Cats go back there and Play.. The Face is just for decoration, a 5/16" gap isn't going to hurt anything. It may let a little more heat in to the room :)

Chip/Grind out the brick in the back of the fireplace to get the 5/16" in the spots that you need it, it is done all the time.
Yes, that is a totally acceptable alternative as well. Thanks for suggesting this mellow.

Last edited:
Thank you to each of you who responded! I'm blown away by the number of responses and the level of knowledge out there. We are grateful for this site and your help. Based on all that was said, we are moving forward with the installation. Thanks.

Sounds good. Please give us some updates on this insert. Pictures are always welcome too.

The stove is scheduled to be installed Thursday, October 15. I will keep you posted. The installer is aware of the 5/16" and is not concerned and based on all that was written here, neither am I. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.