What to do if you're stove's location isn't centered between ceiling joists?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7acres

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2013
South East USA
I've got my stove perfectly centered on the 42" wide stone veneer "hearth wall" behind the stove. I located a plumb bob perfectly on the ceiling above centered on the stove's flue exit. As I proceeded with my chimney install I located the joists in the flat ceiling above my stove. I lucked out in that, although the joists are offset by a couple inches from the stove's center, I think I only need to move my stove 1" to the left for the install of the ceiling support.

My wife agreed moving the stove 1" off-center would not be noticeable. But my curiosity makes me wonder. What can be done if the stove has to be located where the stove pipe must go right through a joist and moving the stove left or right a foot or more would be really out of place?

You could always offset the stove pipe with two 45's

Reactions: joescho and 7acres
Our support box was already set up for the Castine which put it off center for the T6. An offset brought everything back to plumb.
45_flue_offest_web.jpg

For one inch I'd move my favorite chair such that the lack of symmetry would not catch my eye.
For 1.5 inches I'd move. There's no way I could exist in such an imperfect estate.

+1 on offset pipes or joists.

Reactions: 7acres
Agreed, for 1" move the stove over. Maybe put a copper boiler filled with kindling to the one side to balance the look?

Reactions: 7acres and Owen1508
Our support box was already set up for the Castine which put it off center for the T6. An offset brought everything back to plumb.
View attachment 135241

I wouldn't mind offsetting N/S. But in my situation my offset would be to the left. Which would look funky, IMHO.

I wouldn't mind offsetting N/S. But in my situation my offset would be to the left. Which would look funky, IMHO.
I agree for one inch I'd move the stove. i like BG idea with using a container to help balance the look of it

Mine is off an inch and half. The only time I ever notice it is in a picture. It barely bothers me! If you did elbow, it would be about 5" of offset. In this instance, either leave it alone or head off a joist and run the chimney straight through.
I did that where my Ashford is, but the flue for the Oslo was already here when we bought the place, so its just off a little.

My ceiling joists and rafters in the room I installed my stove did not line up so I had to move one or the other. I ended up putting some kickers up and cutting the ceiling joist and boxing it back in. Although its not hard to do, the pitch of the house(tight space) and the heat(being as my dumb--- didn't get to this part of the install until summer), made it a not so enjoyable task.

Cut it and box it in -not a big deal. it is done all the time

On my install we just cut the joists and made a box. Very easy and the entire install of the chimney system took about 5 - 6 hours.

When I did mine the stove needed to go exactly in the corner. I wanted a straight chimney for cosmetic and operational reasons. It going up through a cathedral ceiling. I cut the one roof rafter and put in a double header on both sides, attaching that rafter to the rafter on either side. Not as big a deal as it sounds. This created a one foot vertical chase.

Also along this side of the house there is a side porch with a shed roof that goes up over the main roof. The chimney needed to go through that as well. It had 6" 6" beams that I had to do the same to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.