what to do? (remodeling question)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

littleking

Jan 20, 2014
Columbus, OH
I have a wood burning fireplace, that I would like to use for actual heat production :)

today I removed the wood burning fireplace so that I could redo the tile surround and floor.

375723_10151936575674503_244145795_n.jpg

Should I put it back in then use a fireplace insert, or set a free standing wood burning stove?

The room is 30x27, house is 1900sq ft. would love to get the best bang for the buck.

Looks like the chase interior is only 36" wide. If so that cuts out making an alcove for a freestander install. I would look into replacing it with a modern EPA fireplace that actually heats. Take a look at the BIS Traditions for starters and maybe the new PE FP30 if you want a contemporary look.

Wow... my first look at a "modern" fireplace. They use wood to frame in fireplaces, now? Don't folks know the wood should only go inside the fireplace? ;lol

In any case, what about blocking off that hole, thimbling that liner thru the blocked-off wall, and setting a free stander out in front?

ZC fireplaces are usually wood framed. You can't tap into the pipe for a thimble. It's usually a full replacement that's required.

I suspect that you would only be able to install a small insert in the current fireplace, if any. A modern EPA fireplace would provide a clean burring, correctly-sized, safer, ductable heat source for the home

Temco Fireplace Products
Model TLC-363

Measurements
39" wide (inside 2x4 to inside 2x4 on front edge of opening)
48" high (floor to bottom of 2x4 across top if opening)
24.5" deep (against 2x4 @ back of opening to tile edge)

Status
Not open for further replies.