What to do when you're stuck inside in a blizzard? Build a pantry of course!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
As part of my ongoing basement renovation project I decided to build my wife a pantry under the basement stairs. We needed the space because the kitchen is a bit lacking in cabinets and this was a much cheaper alternative. To the left of the pantry will be a chest freezer I scored on Craigslist for $100 so between stocking up during can-can sales at Shop-Rite and storing venison we'll be set.

IMG_0024.jpg

I built the wall on the left to close off the rest of the steps and sheathed the whole thing in 7/16" OSB so that I could locate the shelves wherever and still have something to screw into. The chase on the upper right will carry flexible ductwork and wiring to the finished side of the basement.

IMG_0023.jpg

sweet ,always good to make usable space that was wasted before

Nice work.
Gotta get those projects off the "to do" list sometime,
during a blizzard is great timing.

Nicely done . . . pantries are very nice . . . gives one a sense of being prepared when the pantry is full.

Jags said:
I'm going to assume that the space to the left of the pantry will be used to store extra cases of beer??

Gee Jags, what gave you that idea?

Badfish740 said:
I've got a weekend supply of wood in the basement, a whole bunch of inside projects to do, and I picked up a case of Yuengling on sale for $16.99 yesterday ;).

Badfish740 said:
There are few greater pleasures in life than watching the snow fall from inside a warm house, well stocked with cold beer and dry firewood with a chocolate lab and a wonderful gal (who makes killer venison chili by the way) to keep me company.

Badfish740 said:
My wife did her part by picking up Saranac's "12 Beers of Winter" yesterday. It's going to be a good weekend ;)

Badfish740 said:

firefighterjake said:
Nicely done . . . pantries are very nice . . . gives one a sense of being prepared when the pantry is full.

Definitely-it was on my mind the whole time I was building the thing. It's not exactly "New Yankee Workshop" quality but it'll do the job. We got a trial BJs membership and used it to stock up on non-perishables (jarred/canned items, paper products, etc...) and then said-"ok now where the hell do we put it all?" The next project will be a standby generator to make sure that once we stock the chest freezer we won't lose it all in one bad storm-not to mention the fact that whenever it rains my two sump pumps run almost non-stop.

That picture of beer out in the snow looks familiar! I found out last weekend that beer freezes when the temp drops into the teens.

I discovered that there was no beer in the fridge, so I tossed a few cans out into the snow last Saturday to chill them. I grabbed one as soon as they were cold enough. When I came back to get another one a half an hour, I had a beer slushy in a can!

Who knew!

-SF

SlyFerret said:
That picture of beer out in the snow looks familiar! I found out last weekend that beer freezes when the temp drops into the teens.

I discovered that there was no beer in the fridge, so I tossed a few cans out into the snow last Saturday to chill them. I grabbed one as soon as they were cold enough. When I came back to get another one a half an hour, I had a beer slushy in a can!

Who knew!

-SF

Yup, sometimes they explode if they freeze enough....note to self, do not store beer in glass bottles on the screen porch

ilikewood said:
SlyFerret said:

Who knew!

-SF

Yup, sometimes they explode if they freeze enough....note to self, do not store beer in glass bottles on the screen porch

Try a Russian Imperial Stout - they don't freeze. I'll let you guess why. :coolsmirk:

Jags said:
ilikewood said:
SlyFerret said:

Who knew!

-SF

Try a Russian Imperial Stout - they don't freeze. I'll let you guess why. :coolsmirk:

Had one a few weeks ago....mighty tasty.....I think it was like $9 for the bottle....might have been 12% alch or so....a fine sipping beer.

We had a pantry like that on top of the basement stairs in the kitchen.

I added the shelves on the 3 walls just like that. (I think I used pallet wood ) Shelves might have ben a tiny bit narrower. I was tired of digging for everything just tossed in there in a big heap. Also a Winter project.
Keep all the can labels' fronts facing out, now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.