what to do with a double sided or see-through fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmasotis

Aug 1, 2007
we moved into a 1970s house with a see through fireplace. It has had a cast iron fireplace insert in it which we've used happily for many years. The "back" side of the fireplace has been covered by a metal panel. We've decided to change the room around and would now like to reopen the fireplace and have glass doors on both sides. I've read that these fireplaces never worked well especially if the two sides of the fireplace open up into very different rooms. One side is a dining room with regular ceilings and the other side is a family room with cathedral ceilings. The two rooms are fairly well connected however with walk throughs on either side of the fireplace. We would like to use the fireplace to burn wood, have glass doors and use some type of heat return or blower system. Is this possible and can you direct me to a system to purchase?

thanks in advance.

First of all I would have that system checked out by a pro. That's 40 years in that chimney. Most were never siz zed correctly.
therefore opperated problamatically The flue were never large enough to accomodate both opening sizes.

Honestly it will suck out twice the heat in the house than delivering any to the living space. It was a selling gimic that never really worked well
A modern insert will produce a positive heat gain. I do not know of any dual sided fireplaces that are effecient.

Welcome jma. I'm not sure they sell a good product for your needs here. There are several double-sided stoves sold in England. Jotul makes the Atra in single or double-sided that would cover your needs, but I don't know how you'd get it here.

http://www.fireplaces-oldham.co.uk/Jotul_Atrafire.htm

Does it look anything like this? If so, we're in the same boat & I can give you a few more pieces of information.

Attachments

• fireplace3.jpg
    fireplace3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 321
Thanks for the picture and advice. I will try and post one of my fireplace. It is about two feet off the ground but flush with the brick edge on both sides. Right now it has an Ashley insert in it. We've never had a problem with using the insert/blower and get the chimney cleaned every year by a professional chimney sweep. What we have now can produce enough heat to heat the downstairs of our house if we keep it going but we generally don't these days. We have a dutch colonial about 2700 sq ft. so I think that is pretty good heat output. I'm not looking for so much heat output since I usually don't have the time/inclination for dealing with the wood but something more attractive. I like to see the fire. However, I know they are great energy wasters so I'd like to end up even, if possible.

you cannot judge a modern insert by an old 70's sheetmetal ashley there is no comparison

That would be an Ashley insert if I read the post correctly. jma is this the Ashley Insert you currently have installed?
http://www.usstove.com/proddetail.php?prod=4600

If not, can you post a picture of both sides of the fireplace? It would also help to post the dimensions of the opening(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.