What to do with ant infested wood off a log load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave T

Mar 28, 2008
Dansville NY
I want to start by saying hi and Thank you I've learned alot from this site,
Let me know if this is not a prudent question in the boiler room.Is there anything I can do about an ant infested hollowed out log to get rid of those critters so I can get my wood to season without the problem spreading to other pieces. My wood is stored out side and usually I split the ants out and throw the bad pieces in a near by stream to return later and get whats left of the wood...Whats the best way to stack wood for maximum drying in a short time?

You might get more responses in the Hearth Room, but the short answer is: split the wood and the ants will go away. They're in there for the protection. Expose them and they will seek out a better place to live.

They don't eat the wood, just live in there because it is nice and wet. Once split and dry they will leave. I just process them like every other log except try to avoid letting them climb up my legs. The chickens come in and eat them up too.

Now when the ants decide to leave, you want to be sure that they don't find some other nice wet wood to live in like the wood in your house.

Always lots of birds hanging around to keep me company when I'm splitting wood (can't wait for snow to melt so my firewood season can start). They really like the grubs.

Eric Johnson said:
Always lots of birds hanging around to keep me company when I'm splitting wood (can't wait for snow to melt so my firewood season can start). They really like the grubs.

Grubs!! Reminds me, I can not wait until bass season they love them too..

Thanks for the responses sounds easy enough

Status
Not open for further replies.