What to do with cavity - when gas insert goes bye-bye

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnstra

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2010
Northern Colorado
I'm removing the gas insert fireplace my house came with and going with a Hearthstone stove. It'll sit out in front of the fireplace. I'm not sure yet what to do with the naked cavity when the gas unit comes out. Is it reasonable to just brick that space so it looks nice? I'm looking for suggestions. What have folks done for this kind of swap?
Thanks,
-john

I've seen this issue addressed in a couple of different ways.
1) Brick it up like you want.
2) Fabricate a faceplate to cover it, unless you're going with the Homestead Hearthmount.
That stove has the option for a factory-made faceplate.
3) Paint the inside black, so nothing can be seen in there,
& block most of the opening with the stove.
Your call...

Several people on here have done what we did.. (see link in sig..)

one advantage is you *can* save some space in the room if needed..

Dakotas Dad - I like what you did and I'm going to do something similar. Couple of questions...
1. What size chimney pipe did you use - 8 inch? Is there a particular reason you had to use that instead of 6"?
2. I looks like you were able to top vent your stove with your setup. Is that right?
3. Can you clean your chimney from below or will you do it from the top?
Thanks,
-john

johnstra said:
Dakotas Dad - I like what you did and I'm going to do something similar. Couple of questions...
1. What size chimney pipe did you use - 8 inch? Is there a particular reason you had to use that instead of 6"?
2. I looks like you were able to top vent your stove with your setup. Is that right?
3. Can you clean your chimney from below or will you do it from the top?
Thanks,
-john

6" chimney. It's Simpson DuraPlus triple wall.

Yes its set up for top vent, there are 2 direct connected 45's there to get the front back offset we decided on. This was not our original plan, but worked out fine. This stove will do either, but the space considerations made us decide to go top vent.

We can clean from the top or bottom. The upper straight portion of stove pipe is a slip piece, all I have to do is slip it up, and slide the stove forward 8" or so. I have not cleaned it yet, when I checked it in April after our last fire, there was almost nothing in the flue. :)

But we do *plan* to clean from the top, will move the stove forward, hang/attach a bag to the inside stove pipe, scrub from above. Seems the cleanest way...

What size is the support box you used? Did you cut it down?

And can you describe what the interface is between the stove pipe, the support box, and the chimney pipe? I don't know exactly how those pieces mate.

-john

If you are asking me..

I used the standard support box from Simpson. Near as I can tell, there is only one size. 14 1/2 x 14 1/2. The only difference is the size of the pass-through connection for each size of pipe.

There is a interface coupler built into the support box, fits 6" chimney on the top, 6" stove pipe on the bottom.

A note: My support box is mounted flush with the ceiling in my alcove(ish) thingy. It should be mounted so that it hangs down at least 2" from a combustible ceiling. My ceiling is made of completely non combustible materials.

No matter what you do, make sure you take lots of pictures.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.