What to do with current heating system after installing the pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jc8367

Feb 14, 2008
Long Island
I have hot water basedboard heat and half my house is on a concert slab with the pipe's buried in the concert. I can't just leave my old heating system thermostat down, the pipe's will burst, what have some of you done as a solution?

Yes, Buy a programmable thermostat and set it so it will run your heat for about 5 to 10 mins everyday at a time interval that will keep the pipes from freezing. You will have to determine the right time frame based on the outside temp. You want to run your system a little or you will dry out the gaskets and such on the forced hot water system. Short of removing your forced hot water system you have to run it a little bit.

Or cycle it a couple times a day or more often if it is below freezing. The slab should draw the heat from the room but there is a slim chance that the lines my freeze. You will need the original system in case you go away for a weekend or longer.

Eric

If you are really concearned about your pipes, have some antifrezze pumped into your system.

On long island....in most weather, a properly installed slab heating system should not freeze easily. The heat from the ground should wick up.

That said, it is very rare that anyone heats 100% with Pellets and you may have DHW also, so those things may affect your need to run the boiler.

does the old heating system also heat your dometic hot water for showers and what not? if so, you are going to need it for that reason unless you have an elec. water heater or on demand etc.i would agree with the other people, if you are going to be away for an extended period of time, you will need that heat source.

mike

I think insurance companies want another form of heat when running a pellet stove. I know mine does, they do not consider pellet stoves as a main heating source. They want somekind of system that will run on its own, in my case it will be my oil forced air furnace. Something best to check out with your insurance company before disabiling your current heating system in any way.

I am having a hard time imagining your slab will reach freezing temperatures while heating with a pellet stove. I would guess you would want your regular heating system on during the really cold days anyway.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.