1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What to do with fireplace in kitchen?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by rmcfall, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmcfall

rmcfall Feeling the Heat

As many can probably tell from my other posts, I am doing a lot of remodeling to our home. Our kitchen is included, and it happens to have a fireplace that takes up an entire wall. While it is nice to look at, I am wondering what to do with it? There is no need for a woodstove there because the family room has one, and the floorplan is an open kitchen/dining/family room concept.

So any thoughts on what to do with this fireplace? I am almost inclined to cover it up with kitchen cabinets, etc. because we are somewhat limited on cabinet space. However, it seems like a shame to do away with a fireplace. Any ideas on how to make it useful?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Webwidow

Webwidow Member

Loc:
    Western MA.
    wood fire pizza oven :coolsmile:
  3. rmcfall

rmcfall Feeling the Heat

I wondered about that, but I haven't been able to find any information on-line about converting an existing fireplace to a pizza oven. Any tips?
  4. Webwidow

Webwidow Member

Loc:
    Western MA.
    I recall seeing some at the trade show some years back.However it would be a pricey add-on model. There must be some old masonry books around for the do- it -your-self-er. Maybe in the Sunset book series ? Crank up the oven to about 700 degrees and watch the cheese bubble. Yummy!
  5. Webwidow

Webwidow Member

Loc:
    Western MA.
    not seeing any conversion plans either, but the outsede pizza oven are awesome
  6. rmcfall

rmcfall Feeling the Heat

Yeah, I saw different plans for outdoor pizza ovens. They look pretty nice...

I guess I could always do some regular grilling in the fireplace when temps are too cold to grill outside. I imagine I might need a power vent for this sort of thing though... at least it would make the fireplace more than just something to look at...
  7. nshif

nshif New Member

Loc:
    Pioneer, Ca (near Lake Tahoe)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.