What to do with firetube HX

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoilerMan

Minister of Fire
Apr 16, 2012
Northern Maine
What do you all with moveable turbolators do with you firetubes in the off season, other than running the handle every fire or two?

The reason I ask is because my turb handle has been sticking up lately, I was wondering if it may be just some distortion of the turbs in the tubes (there are 7). The boiler has been running very well with nice clean secondary burns. My wood is in the mid teens moisture wise. I was just wondering if anyone else pulls the turbs out and brushes the tubes, no Varm guys posting........ I know you have to pull yours.

TS

The Foling firetubes get a good brushing not only in the off season but a time or two during season. Initial operation resulted in some inefficient burns which caused sticking of the turbs, and working the turb lever may have stretched out the coils so that they don't clean as well as originally. Might this also be what you are experiencing?

I don't know the clearance from the firetube wall on your unit but I can tell you on the Eko that if there is sufficient build-up for the movement of the turbs to remove it, there is way too much material build-up for efficient heat transfer.

This subject was discussed last year here on the forum. I was lamenting along with others on the labor involved in removing all the "claptrap" (remember that?) in order to brush the tubes. I made the bold move to remove all that hardware in order to facilitate brushing of the tubes.

It has worked out great. Now if I have an extra 10 minutes say before lighting my daily fire, I can brush the tubes. Although I only remove a layer of dust from them I can see a difference in my stack temperature therefore my comment that the turb movement being useless.

At the same time I experimented with chains as turbulators and found no difference in performance so I went with the chains because they were easier to remove with a hook and easier to clean by just slamming them down on a hard surface.

Yes I remember now, you took a sawzall to the clap-trap (good name BTW).

Jim, I think you are correct, initial fall fires result in some tar buildup, and I start out behind the curve for the heating season. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and open it up and see what's in there.

I have been observing stack temps in the 285-300F range, so I havn't been concerned about good heat transfer. I just forget about it unit I light then next fire, and then I can't open it up.............

TS

I clean the turb coils in the summer, during the annual boiler maintainance.
Never experienced any sticky tubes or stuck handle. Coils are normally covered with compacted ash and at spots very little hardened ash
I will remove during the next warm spell(above 32)...and give them a brushing along with the tubes, since this winter it is running more.
Scott

Those are very low stack temps. It sure doesn't indicate a need for brushing but I'd be curious if I were you since you haven't checked them lately.

Did my weekly cleaning of the lower chaimber and opened up the lower cleanout to see the bottom of the tubes. This is the second time this season to vacuum out back here.

This is what I found, I think everything looks good, what say the boiler room?

BTW, these are all cleaned out now :)

014.JPG
015.JPG
017.JPG
016.JPG

TS

Just cleaned the HX and turbs.
I attached 3 before and 3 after pix.
Whole process took under 40. minutes and last time it was cleaned was over the summer shutdown.
Thus far this winter the ash accumulation seen was from 4 to 4.5 cords of wood.
The turbs, were also coated with same soft ash and just run a brush out and in.
No gummed up stuff, just very soft powdery fly ash.
Last night's burn(before cleaning) registered FG high 232C,
Today's burn FG high 182C
Scott

Attachments

• after1.jpg
    after1.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 153
  • after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 120
  • after3.jpg
    after3.jpg