What to do with my fireplace now that I am taking it out to make room for the woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosencra38

Jun 17, 2008
West Michigan
Hello all,

Well I posted a couple times before asking about inserts but turned out my fireplace in my double-wide is too small for an insert. So, after the recommendation of posters on here and other considerations I have decided to tear out my fireplace (demolish that whole corner of my living room) to have a Quadrafire 4300 Millenium installed. I now have all of the stone/brick removed from around the fireplace and will have the rest tore down to the frame by the end of the day. My wife is very nervous about this project for some reason. Anyway, I'm thinking I'll just take out the fireplace and set it outside (covered of course) for now. I don't know what to do with it from there though, is it worth anything? Should I try to sell it, if so how much is it worth?

Thanks

scrap is paying very well these days

When we torn down our old chimney we used the old bricks for a base and put in a haul road across part of our swamp. You must have a low area around your land you can fill in? Mostly you can always find a re use for landscaping bricks but cement encrusted bricks are not much good to anyone. btw props to you for making the tough decision in tearing that out...I know that must have been a tough call, but you did the right thing even though it wasn't easy.

savageactor7 said:
When we torn down our old chimney we used the old bricks for a base and put in a haul road across part of our swamp. You must have a low area around your land you can fill in? Mostly you can always find a re use for landscaping bricks but cement encrusted bricks are not much good to anyone. btw props to you for making the tough decision in tearing that out...I know that must have been a tough call, but you did the right thing even though it wasn't easy.
props for that! Beating the gas man 10fold

Our fireplace bricks are now a beautiful front landing and two sets of side steps off our patio. I still have a large stack for future projects like a path in the greenhouse.

OK, first thanks for all the replies thus far but I should have given more information at first. My fireplace is a pre-fab fireplace the only stone/brick is what went up the wall around the fireplace. The fireplace itself is a big metal box that was sitting in a corner of my living room framed in behind the rock wall in the corner.

I just pulled a Heatilator Icon 100 which is a huge prefab fireplace and the SL1100 chimney system I put them up for sale locally for $500 each. Sold the pipe. Have a couple bites on the fireplace but nothing yet. They were installed for only two years. One guy wanted it bit it is WAY too big for his space.

I'm thinking about using it for an outside fireplace. Build a remote patio and enclose it at ground level. Might only need a section of single wall pipe to keep the smoke up and out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.