What to do with not so old VC Encore...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Well, as many know I upgraded my stove this year after only burning my new VC Encore NC for one season. It was new about this time last year (installed in November) and I fell out of love with it sometime in February. At any rate, I had put it on the market last spring hoping to sell it before moving it, had a few interested folks and a few lowball offers as well, but didn't sell it before summer hit and things got busy... Then it came time to install my new stove so I went to move it out of place and this is where the story gets interesting...

When I removed the flue collar I noticed a hairline crack in the cast there in the throat of the flue exit. It is about an inch or so long. ARG! So.. of course now I knew I was going to have more trouble selling it. I contacted the dealer and after sending pictures etc, they were great about it. Although their recommendation was to just not worry about it unless the crack grew, they did go ahead and ship me the replacement part while I still had warranty so that "if and when the time came I'd be ready."It arrived a week or so later - big box with the whole back of the stove, a piece of gasket, and a tube of cement! Installation isn't included in the warranty and well, I did buy it online. At least I have the parts I figure so I'm ok, right? Well.. then it came time to move the stove a few weeks later and one of the legs literally fell off when we lifted the stove. What the heck? Close inspection shows that the leg is attached by a bolt that runs through the leg and into the cast bottom of the stove - and guess what? There is a nice big crack right there across that cast where the bolt is inserted so the threads basically don't touch both sides of the bolt. Seems this had to have been split during or prior to install (I had it installed by someone, not me) and likely it has just been sitting there on the leg - which it was quite stable, but... it again doesn't help sell the stove now does it? Another round with the dealer who is again VERY good to me I think and agrees to send the replacement part under warranty (whew!). Well.. it is backordered etc... it finally arrived last week - and it is the whole cast bottom of the stove.

So - here I sit. The stove is in my garage with a tiny crack in the throat of the flue exit, broken back leg insert. And I have two large cast iron pieces that can be installed but look like would require essentially a full rebuild of the stove to get on there. I don't want the stove anymore in any case. I have neither the time nor skills to do a rebuild in any case.

So the question is this:

Do I find someone to do the rebuild (how much would that cost anyway?) then sell the stove as being in basically new shape then sell it? What would be the realistic potential selling price? I'd have to net this out obviously.

OR - Do I advertise it in current shape with the pieces that I have and go that route?

Which do you folks think is likely to be best way to maximize my return on this? I know I'm going to lose value no matter what. Such is life when you make a mistake... I should have been on this forums about 6 months before I bought the VC. However that is history.

Any other good options to suggest?

Thanks in advance!

There was a lot of interest from guys who like rebuilding VCs when I got rid of mine recently. My two stoves were done so it was pretty easy to sell them to the first guy who actually showed up with $100. Unless you enjoy such projects, sell it to one of those guys. They will probably get around $1000 or so out of it, leave enough on the table to motivate them and it should go quickly.

Hmmm....sounds like a handy neighbor or friend, a 12 pack, and an evening spent in the garage. Fix it up, then sell it as a one year old stove. The buyer doesn't need to know about prior parts failure if you are properly fixing the thing.

Jags said:
Hmmm....sounds like a handy neighbor or friend, a 12 pack, and an evening spent in the garage. Fix it up, then sell it as a one year old stove. The buyer doesn't need to know about prior parts failure if you are properly fixing the thing.

I suppose there is the problem - I have no clue how to rebuild the thing. Although I am confident I could figure it out I know it would take quite a bit of time for me to do so. My only stove savvy friends are here on the forums. All my face to face friends pretty much think I'm nuts for even considering carrying my own fuel into the house rather than having someone deliver it by truck. I suppose I need to find some more, different friends eh? I'd actually like to see what is inside this stove and it sounds rather fun.

I do agree that if I were to fix it up it would be as good, if not better, than if it hadn't had the parts replaced (assuming the job is done well of course). Finding someone who knows how to do it or at least has a clue, to assist is the tricky part. Anyone in eastern mass want to help me? I'll offer pizza and beer (your choice of brand)... don't expect much of a response - everyone is busy eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.