What to do with old heating oil.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
I have about 150 gallons of #2 heating oil that's about 10 years old. Its in a tank in my shop. Called around locally and been advised I need to have it disposed of because its probably no good as heating oil any longer. Have one quote at $850 to pump it out and dispose of, waiting on another quote. Can this be burned in a waste oil heater? Anyone have any better suggestions than paying for disposal? I want to make sure it's handled in an environmentally responsible way but I'm hoping there is some use for it so I'm not just paying for disposal.

Post it on craigslist.

There are lots of uses for diesel, from heating(waste oil burners) to keeping asphalt trucks/equipment clean. Someone will take it off your hands. :) Or do it the hard way, and take it to autozone 5 gallons at a time.

too bad I'm not close, I'd come get it - mix it with fresh diesel and burn it in my truck, or, put it in the waste oil furnace.

for sure - craigslist - folks will be knocking your door down to get it - you could probably charge something for it and stil get rid of it quickly.

fuel oil / diesel / jet fuel / kerosene don't "spoil" as readily as gasoline -- it probably does have some water in it from condensation though.

milner351 said:
it probably does have some water in it from condensation though.
But thats nothing a couple of bottles of diesel dry gas couldn't cure.

Perhaps before fuel regulations were as tight as they are now, I worked in firefighter training. We sometimes needed donations of old/contaminated fuel for our training burns. (My boss liked jet fuel best. Oh it burns nice!)
Might be an option if you call around a bit. They probably don't want to pay anything though.

Thanks guys, appreciate the suggestions. I just put it on Craigslist. I know you get sludge build up as the fuel ages and there could be some condensation in it, but I suspected it could be usefule to someone anyway. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for your suggestions on this guys. I posted on Craigs list and sold the contents (about 175 gals) for $250. Much better than paying someone $850 to "dispose" it! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.