What to do with old pre mixed gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d.braun.28

Dec 31, 2008
Millbrook,il
I don't use any gas in my saw after it's been in the can for more than a week. I was just going to throw it in my Deere or my wife's car but it's been mixed with Stihl ultra.
Does anyone else refuse to use anything but fresh gas in their saw's. What to do with the left over?

One week? You must be joking. Do you know how long ago it was refined?

No joke

I run 103 octane in my saw same stuff I run in my sled, quads and dirt bike. Just a habit
Popped a cylinder a while back in my sled due to stale gas so I figure it's cheaper to empty the old gas then to rebuild top end /cylinder's.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thats Funny :lol: One week ! Get Real ! It takes about 30-60 Days before gas goes stale depending on the Quality, seeing you have lots
of Expensive toys you should've known this. :smirk:

I'll use mix up to about 3 months, maybe 4... After that I'll either dump the leftovers into whatever 4-stroke OPE I'm using (splitter, snowblower, lawn tractor, etc.) or the GF's van with at least 3/4 of a tank of gas... I figure less than a gallon of 50-1 mix, diluted with another 10-20 gallons of gas should be weak enough not to hurt anything.

Gooserider

hard work being this cheap said:
No joke

I run 103 octane in my saw same stuff I run in my sled, quads and dirt bike. Just a habit
Popped a cylinder a while back in my sled due to stale gas so I figure it's cheaper to empty the old gas then to rebuild top end /cylinder's.

I've work on & raced 2 strokes for years.. I don't think it was the stale gas that pooped your cyl.. many more factors involved..

But if you want to throw good gas out after 1 week.. then have at it..

Shake the gas can up for a minute to make sure any settling is put back into solution and pour it into your saw. I've never thrown away gas, I've used 6 month old mix without any issues at all.

Maybe I'm jsut lucky.

I never have it last more than a month (30 days Is what stihl says)That must be some bad @ss sled, quads and dirt bike

103 octane is not the best for your saw and you are throwing your money away by buying it for the saw. But then, replacing it every week is really throwing your dollars away.

If you are that concerned about stale gas, put some Stabilizer into the gas. I do that and have burned gas from the previous season the following winter with no problems at all.

I'm also like Gooserider in that I won't hesitate to mix it with regular gas in another motor.

Waste of time, money and fuel.

Put Sta-Bil into the mix. They now make a formula specifically for ethanol blended gas. I use it on my boat fuel tank during winter lay up, works fine.
Hank

I've got a 1970 VW Bus that I restored and with the two kids now, I don't have the time I used to to mess with it. I started it for the first time in about a year and a half...fired right up. Tractor is using 4 year old diesel.

Chainsaw regularly uses 6 month old gas (Stihl 361)...no problems. My '82 Honda 650 motorcycle is a lot more touchy, and 3 months is pushing it for that...a week? Huh? Are you kidding? when I saw the subject of this thread, I thought "yeah, what do I do with my 5-year old gas in the gas can?" Uhhhhhh...so what do people do if they have 5-year-old gas?

I don't use any gas in my saw after it's been in the can for more than a week. I was just going to throw it in my Deere or my wife's car but it's been mixed with Stihl ultra.
Does anyone else refuse to use anything but fresh gas in their saw's. What to do with the left over?

Two questions

1) Are you serious?

2) Why?

The best soulution to stale gas IMO is to just mix up what uou wil use that day. I have a 1 gal gas can and, mix up my gas in a small 12Oz container, I mix either 6 or 12 oz at a time.
I use a 5 ML plastic measuring spoon of oil for each 6 oz of gas. Works for me.

I've many times used mixed gas that's over a year old and have had zero problems. Been doing it for 40 years. I do tend to put Stabil in the mix.

That being said, if you're nervous, throw it into any four-stroke engine you've got with a large tank and burn it that way. I tend to take gas that's exceeded its "shelf life expectancy" and dumped into one of my farm tractor gas tanks or cars.

jdemaris said:
I've many times used mixed gas that's over a year old and have had zero problems. Been doing it for 40 years...
Same here. Been doing it all my life. I've only had to take apart and clean my carb once in 30 years and that was because the pickup screen in the tank came off. There was no varnish buildup to speak of.

If your using Stihl 2-stroke oil it already has a fuel stabilizer in it. I always start cutting with last seasons gas and it runs exactly the same as when i switch to fresh.

Hmm...hadn't used the chain saw in like 2 1/2 years until a few months ago...started up fine....just finished the rest of the tank...2 1/2 years on that too.....its been running fine......I'be in about $10000 more debt if I threw out my gas every week or so

Status
Not open for further replies.