What to do with pre-fab fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pahbi

Feb 9, 2014
Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked before, but my search skills aren't very good.

I would like to purchase a wood pellet stove insert, but I have a problem. I have read that generally, you cannot put a wood stove insert into a pre-fab fireplace.

So my question is this:

Would it be cheaper for me to get a free standing pellet woodstove and place it somewhere else in the house, or convert the pre-fab fireplace into a masonry fireplace?

I'm guessing it would be cheaper to install a free standing pellet woodstove.

Thanks in advance,
- P

Folks will chime in, but I think you are going to find that most pellet inserts can be used in a pre-fab fireplace. Not near the brutal radiant heat and chimney issues that you encounter with a cord wood stove.

Look at the manufacturers' sites and manuals for models you are interested in. Offhand I know that Regency sells their pellet inserts for factory fireplaces, aka pre-fabs.

Last edited:
I just had this issue. My pre fab zero clearance was not big enough for a Mt Vernon. I pulled the firebox, cut the chimney, pulled the SS liner, built a box out of 2x4s, lined it with cement board, and put a new chimney chase cover on to eliminate the drafts and leaks. It works as a built in stove now with a direct vent out the side of the existing chimney chase. After seeing how much room I had in the chase and how it was framed, I think the better decision would have been to open it up and see what I had first, rather than having the dealer measure and tell me what would fit. If you're committed to swapping, that's the route that I would go if I had the chance to do it over. I would have gotten a bigger stove that would have given me a chance to get more heat up to my second floor. My wife loved the look of the MV, so it wasn't a bad option, but I would have liked to have all of the information before I made the decision.

I agree. Should be an easy install.

Sounds like I still will be able to do this then. I really only want a wood stove for supplemental heating for a few rooms.

If I get a qualified reputable company to do the installation, they should be able to do the job of either installing a compatible wood stove or modifying the existing fireplace to bring it up to spec.

- P

Status
Not open for further replies.