What to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMZX

Aug 30, 2010
NE. Oregon
I plan to purchase 4 tons of pellets for this winter. I have two suppliers lined up, both of which stock the pellets I have in mind, (Blue Mt Wood Products premiums, a Doug Fir pellet comparable to Bear Mt and, IMO, superior to Blazers).

One supplier has pellets left over from last year. They are stored in a pole barn. Price is $234/ton delivered.

The other supplier also has pellets from last year. They have been stored in the open, undisturbed, since last fall. Price is $189/ton, I must haul them, (24 miles round trip X 4 trips = 96 miles=$20 in gas). They normally go for $209/ton, but they agreed to give me $20/ton off to make room for this years supply.

Which deal should I go for?

What you need to decide is if your time and work, and getting pellets left out in the open (which I'm sure are basically ok by the way) is worth $150. 189X4=756+20 in gas = 786.
234X4=936+ 0 in gas, and are delivered to your house.

936-756=$150.

If it were me, I'd go with whatever pellet you feel more comfortable with.

just my 2 cents.

The way I'd look at it is this: The ones stored in the pole barn you KNOW are dry.....the other ones, you can't be sure. And for 50 cents more a bag, I'd be having them deliver the dry ones.

Better get em delivered quick before they add a fuel surcharge with this Syria thing. Crude jumped $3 today. No need to say what else will soon match.

The way I'd look at it is this: The ones stored in the pole barn you KNOW are dry.....the other ones, you can't be sure. And for 50 cents more a bag, I'd be having them deliver the dry ones.

I came around to that this afternoon. I went back to the supplier of the dry storage pellets and asked for a 10% discount due to the fact that it was year old stock. They agreed, so I am going with the $215/ton, delivered deal.

Good price on some great (guaranteed to be dry) pellets. Sweet!

Reactions: jtakeman
I came around to that this afternoon. I went back to the supplier of the dry storage pellets and asked for a 10% discount due to the fact that it was year old stock. They agreed, so I am going with the $215/ton, delivered deal.

Good price on some great (guaranteed to be dry) pellets. Sweet!

Nice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.