What to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
Been working on the wood piles over the summer and trying to figure out what to do with a tree I can get. Pics to come soon.

Neighbor cut down a good size birch a couple months ago. Got that split and stacked.
Picking up a decent size Ash this week.
Got a Hickory all cut up just needs to be split
Pile of 5" Norway Maple rounds
Buddy of mine has a couple loads of Elm he doesn't want to split so he's giving it to me.
Cottonwood that will take quite some time to process
45' Oak I have been working on.

The question is. My parents neighbor has a Pretty big Tulip Poplar they want to cut down. I keep and process my wood at my parents house. The tree is right there do I take it??

FireAnt said:
Been working on the wood piles over the summer and trying to figure out what to do with a tree I can get. Pics to come soon.

Neighbor cut down a good size birch a couple months ago. Got that split and stacked.
Buddy of mine has a couple loads of Elm he doesn't want to split so he's giving it to me.

The question is. My parents neighbor has a Pretty big Tulip Poplar they want to cut down. I keep and process my wood at my parents house. The tree is right there do I take it??

Of course you do, seems like you need more work! ;-)

zap

18 million btu's a cord.

It all burns... Tulip Poplar at around 16 MBTU? per cord still has 2/3 the BTU content of red oak so its still not too bad. No, it's not overnight wood, but it works great for fires in the fall/spring when you don't need too much heat. It splits extremely easy. I just split and stacked a half cord yesterday after work by hand, in 90 degree weather.

I have a whole TP tree at the neighbors house that I'm going to take here soon, just after I get done will all his oak, maple, and ash trees :)

zapny said:
FireAnt said:

Of course you do, seems like you need more work! ;-)

zap

Yup!

Status
Not open for further replies.