What to expect from a chimney sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsplatt

Mar 26, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
Tomorrow I'm having my first professional chimney sweep done (new to wood burning as of this past March). In the future I'll do it myself but I'd like to watch a pro first. At any rate what should I expect to be done? Do they clean and inspect or is inspection typically an additional cost? I would hope at the very least he'd mention if I had a problem. The price I'm being charged seems very reasonable, I have two chimneys one connected to my wood stove and the other to a wood burning fireplace. $160 for both ($90 for the first and $70 for the second) another guy quoted over the phone $100 each, I expected a little discount for having two chimneys like the first guy but apparently not so he didn't get my business.

You will be able to tell right away how good the guy is - based on how clean he keeps the job. A drop cloth is the first hint that things are going to go well. He should not put his tool boxes or equipment down on any of your floors, etc.

Most pro sweeps have special vacuums...if you see a shop-vac, you could be dealing with a less than perfect situation. The vac is what keeps the dust down.

They will probably give you a condition report, but it will probably be unofficial.....still, this should help you a lot.

Good Luck

My own experience with my sweep who I have used for the past 10 years is--cleaned my own chimney last spring, put plastic to cover everything, and the wife damn near killed me for the ash everywhere... Now, my sweep uses a blanket of some sort, is very professional, also is certified to clean my old oil-fired boiler. and never leaves a mess like I did :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.