What To Expect From Chimney Cleaning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisN

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Southeastern, Ct
I have a Jotul Oslo, installed in Jan 05. I will be having my first chimney cleaning next weekend, from the sweep who installed the stove, pipe and chimney. The stove is installed in a great-room with a straight pipe run up to the ceiling/roof and then out to the chimney, whichs extends about 6 feet above the sloped roof. Here's my question: when he installed the pipe, he made a direct connect from straight pipe to the stove collar. There is no clean-out in the pipe, just solid double walled pipe. So, how does the cleaning work? I envision him either removing the recombustion pipes/insulation in the top of the stove and knocking debris into the fire-box, or lifting the stove pipe from the collar. Any hints on what I can expect will be appreciated.

I've been wondering this myself. I know one person on this site pulls out his insert when he cleans his chimney, but does everyone? And is that neat telescoping pipe that's available for freestanding stoves also used to keep the junk out of the stove when cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.