1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What To Expect From Chimney Cleaning?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ChrisN, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisN

ChrisN Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern, Ct
    I have a Jotul Oslo, installed in Jan 05. I will be having my first chimney cleaning next weekend, from the sweep who installed the stove, pipe and chimney. The stove is installed in a great-room with a straight pipe run up to the ceiling/roof and then out to the chimney, whichs extends about 6 feet above the sloped roof. Here's my question: when he installed the pipe, he made a direct connect from straight pipe to the stove collar. There is no clean-out in the pipe, just solid double walled pipe. So, how does the cleaning work? I envision him either removing the recombustion pipes/insulation in the top of the stove and knocking debris into the fire-box, or lifting the stove pipe from the collar. Any hints on what I can expect will be appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. annette

annette Member

Loc:
    the Indiana Riviera
    I've been wondering this myself. I know one person on this site pulls out his insert when he cleans his chimney, but does everyone? And is that neat telescoping pipe that's available for freestanding stoves also used to keep the junk out of the stove when cleaning?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.