What to look for in Chaps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleB

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2014
NE Wisconsin
I did a quick search and didn't find a whole lot, so I'll ask:

I wasn't raised wearing chaps and know nothing about them. The wife wants to order me something tonight for Father's Day, and I suggested chaps.

Any features that you find particularly nice or annoying? Any lengths (short vs long) I should look for? Are there differences in how much they cover or wrap around your legs/waist/etc? Anything that makes them easy/hard to don? What do you like/dislike about yours?

A manufacturer could say their chaps have this or that, and I wouldn't even know if this or that is something any better than the next guy.

Thanks!

Don't know nuthin bout chaps but really? The wife waited till tonight to order you a fathers day gift?

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
I have found that the standard Stihl chaps have a tendency to twist around on my leg. I got the wrap around Stihl chaps recently. I find them quite warm. I went back to the originals and try to keep them oriented correctly.

Don't over think the issue. The important part is having them and using them correctly. Any recognizable name should do the trick (I personally own Stihl). The rest of the equation is akin to asking "what is the best brand of jeans". Lots of different opinions.

Nobody can come up with an "assless chaps" joke?

Nobody can come up with an "assless chaps" joke?

It isn't that great a joke, as it's a redundant statement. Chaps are inherently assless.

Reactions: Highbeam
I did a quick search and didn't find a whole lot, so I'll ask:

I wasn't raised wearing chaps and know nothing about them. The wife wants to order me something tonight for Father's Day, and I suggested chaps.

Any features that you find particularly nice or annoying? Any lengths (short vs long) I should look for? Are there differences in how much they cover or wrap around your legs/waist/etc? Anything that makes them easy/hard to don? What do you like/dislike about yours?

A manufacturer could say their chaps have this or that, and I wouldn't even know if this or that is something any better than the next guy.

Thanks!

When I got mine the store had one pair that fit. So I went with the one's that fit.

I've heard good things from a few pros about chainsaw pants - no hung up buckles, no twisting, ect.

I've tried Husqvarna, Stihl, Elvex, Labonville, and some name I can't recall but they were inexpensive. I currently own Elvex and Labonville chaps.

I've been using Labonville full-wrap chaps and really like how they fit me. They have wide straps, large buckles, and large areas of stitching on the straps.

Some folks buy them too short. The picture in the link below shows them going all the way to your instep:

http://www.labonville.com/Chainsaw-Safety-Chaps-W850KPX--40-Length_p_33.html#

I've tried Husqvarna, Stihl, Elvex, Labonville, and some name I can't recall but they were inexpensive. I currently own Elvex and Labonville chaps.

I've been using Labonville full-wrap chaps and really like how they fit me. They have wide straps, large buckles, and large areas of stitching on the straps.

Some folks buy them too short. The picture in the link below shows them going all the way to your instep:

http://www.labonville.com/Chainsaw-Safety-Chaps-W850KPX--40-Length_p_33.html#
I use these and have no problem with fit, and find them pretty comfortable.

I thought the same thing from the title but didnt want to be "that guy".................
I thought by the title it was a misplaced English personal ad..

Reactions: BCC_Burner
I think it is less about what kind and more about making sure you wear them and that they fit. I have husqvarna, but they are more than likely all coming from a very limited number of manufacturers and being branded by the various companies.

I have also found that on a hot day chaps if worn for extended periods can cause serious sweat of the southern giblet region resulting in raging case of tinea cruris (jock itch).

I don't use chaps - I have chainsaw pants.

I've had them for years - they're tough.

In cold weather, I wear long johns under them & maybe a pair of sweats or splash pants if it's real cold, and in warm weather, I wear thin shorts or splash pants or cut off sweat pants or the like depending how hot it is. No muss no fuss with twisting & buckles & straps & all that, just slip into them & away you go. If these ones ever wear out, I'll get another pair.

I have also found that on a hot day chaps if worn for extended periods can cause serious sweat of the southern giblet region resulting in raging case of tinea cruris (jock itch).
Take my word for it....don't use foot spray<>

i thought chaps were used for riding horses? i grew up in the suburbs of LA, no horses or chainsaws.

There are chaps specific to chainsaw protection. The chaps have a fibrous interior that in the case of a spinning chain will jam the clutch of the saw - stopping the chain in very short order. They don't claim to stop an injury but to "minimize" it. Highly recommended if you are running a saw. It might just save your life.

Reactions: TreePointer
Got some Husq's at TSC, work just fine, not too pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.