What to look for in used boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STANG302

Nov 10, 2009
Osceola, WI
Found an eight year old Central Boiler Maxim locally and the price seems way to low. But would like to go check it out this week. Claims to have been bought new and operated every winter since.

I am familiar what makes pellet stoves tick. As I've run multiple stoves over the last 7 years. But have no experience with boilers. What should I pay attention to and check over?

Would eventually like to use it to heat 1400 sq ft.

If you can see it run that would be best. Parts are still available for these. Mine is 9 years old. I replaced the transition to the chimney this year.

The stirrer should be stainless. This was an upgrade a few years back.

If running pellets ensure you have the water dump valve kit. This dumps water into the auger if the standard burn back protection fails.

I burn corn and have the bulk bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.