What to look for on a used Intrepid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattg1970

Apr 14, 2007
I am going to look at a used Intrepid stove and I am waiting on some answers to a few questions I asked the owner. The stove comes with a flexible liner but I didn't ask if it was stainless or not. What should I look for when I see the stove. I don't know yet what year the stove is.

Search the forums for Intrepid. I've given a few different replies on my experiences with a used Intrepid II.
Google "vermont castings" and "intrepid" on the web also to familiarize yourself with the 3-4 different versions of the Intrepid.

You should be looking for deviations and wear from a new Intrepid stove. Examine a new one first and take careful visual notes. When you look at the used stove look for exterior: greyed castings, or cracked enamel, cracked castings, very dirty glass, and general neglect. On the interior look for: condition of the catalyst, any warping or burned plates, smooth operation of the combustor damper, smooth operation of the thermostatic damper, cracking in any casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.